Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Should you rev a Ve in park..

TheVESV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 Ve Sv6.
After looking at putting a new exhaust on a sv6 when I get it. I was reading the "you tube" feedback on exhausts and there seems to be mixed feelings on wether it's good to rev in park or not..

So I took one for a test drive and when I rev'd it a little at a time is was sounding good..

But when I rev'd it flat to the floor it started ok then it sounded like a thump and no more growl.

Am new to the sv6 and don't know if thats normal.. ( you don't get to rev a 1990 berina..haha)

I don't want it to sound like an 8, as its a 6.. 2.25inch exhausts sound pretty good..

Thanks again for the help..

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
The thing is, there's no real reason to rev it in park (neutral would be better.. but whatever) unless you're showing off. Any exhaust always sounds at it's best when under load (unless it's a diesel) - ie, sticking it to it when you're driving. The noise you get when revving it out of gear is a bit insignificant really. Also, a manual will always sound just a little better.

TheVESV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 Ve Sv6.
Thx Tinsnips,

I wasn't revving like crazy tho, just trying to listen to the sound with my cousin.

I haven't been in anything bigger than a 2.7lt, so was keen to stand at the back for a listen.

I read a thread on going on the highway in a low gear and listen to it.. Which I have now done and it sounds great..

I was listening to exhausts on you tube and everyone seems to rev it with out the growl disappearing aound 4000rpm. like the one I was in..

Thought it might of been the difference between Stock and 2-3inch exhaust..

Am still very very new when it comes to this and didn't want to buy a car if something wrong with it..

I will be at holden monday, so will do his head in with Question.. haha...

Cheers, And any updates on the green machine..

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
But when I rev'd it flat to the floor it started ok then it sounded like a thump and no more growl.

I wasn't revving like crazy tho, just trying to listen to the sound with my cousin.

Right..............so you don't class putting the pedal to the floor as revving it like crazy? Hektic.

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
After looking at putting a new exhaust on a sv6 when I get it. I was reading the "you tube" feedback on exhausts and there seems to be mixed feelings on wether it's good to rev in park or not..

So I took one for a test drive and when I rev'd it a little at a time is was sounding good..

Am new to the sv6 and don't know if thats normal.. ( you don't get to rev a 1990 berina..haha)

I don't want it to sound like an 8, as its a 6.. 2.25inch exhausts sound pretty good..

Thanks again for the help..
If ya were doin this in park im tippin ya hit the rev limiter not sure on the ve but vz wont let ya rev past 4 unless its in gear.

TheVESV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 Ve Sv6.
Thanks Clutchy and Vessme.. Spot on... Thats what info I was after before Monday..

Hi Tinsnips.. After looking and listening to 2.25inch exhausts, I'll end up going that way. will post the you tube link when I get around to it.

Wikky, not have'n a crack but hard to put the foot to the floor while standing behind it talking with someone.. The lovely person revving when asked, was so nervous her foot went to the floor and thats when we noticed the rev limiter..

I'm enjoying the feedback from people in here and would like to keep it that way... But cheers for you comment..

wingwang99

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Voodoo Sv6
Just to throw my 2 cents in, really has nothing to do with the thread, but unless you drive sewing machines its spelt barina...

footy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SE 2010
thanks wingwang99