Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shudder intermittent at idle

Brett61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
Hi everyone
I have a 2000 VT V6 Auto wagon.
Problem I'm getting a shudder at idle occasionally not enough to make it stall but enjoying just the same, I did have a similar problem in years gone by rectified by replacing Cam and crank sensors however they were both done less than two years ago. So have done plugs/ leads/ cam sensor/ coil packs and a spare ignition module that I had problem still present, also idles not rough but not as smooth as it used to and as far as fuel economy it's at about 21 per hundred altogether not feeling the love. On a different note it's also recently had idle speed and mixture sensors done. I have had a read through some of the threads and was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

Thanks everyone
Brett

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Check the ALL THE Vac lines,
Check to make sure the plug leads are on correctly,
Could be the DFI/Coils, but doubt it,
Clean the Throttle body and IAC Valve,
then see how it goes.

Brett61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
Hey guys thanks for the info, I will check things over today and see how it goes

Brett61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
Hi, a thank you to krusing, I took the new IAC valve out and re fitted the old one and so far no miss however litres per have crept up.

On another note, it's a Vt Wagon and I'm getting water into the LHS rear foot well. I know I have a leak in the rear side windows just haven't pulled them out to re seal as yet. Any Ideas

Cheers

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
21 liters/100km is shocking. Seeing as you have covered most of the ignition side of the engine you might need to look at the fuel system. Fuel filter and injectors.

I'd also clean the MAF and look at the O2 sensors as those are the primary sensors used for controlling air fuel ratios when the engine is running.

Last edited:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Hi, a thank you to krusing, I took the new IAC valve out and re fitted the old one and so far no miss however litres per have crept up.

On another note, it's a Vt Wagon and I'm getting water into the LHS rear foot well. I know I have a leak in the rear side windows just haven't pulled them out to re seal as yet. Any Ideas

Cheers

Well done for the IAC Valve, and your welcome.

As for the Leak in the Passengers Footwell,
Couple of options to check,
1)
Maybe check when your antenna cable comes through the side wall behind the guard,
The easy way to see if it has dislodged,
is to remove your LHS indicator lamp, [slide the indicator fitting forward, you should be able to carefully remove the fitting] and shine a torch in there,
You will see a rubber bung in there with the cable passing through it, and if its an electric antenna, you will see 2 other wires beside the antenna wire.
2)
Otherwise, check and clean the HVAC plenum under the wiper arms, where the air passes through to the cabin,
or
and where the fan is housed.
or
3)
Has the windscreen been replaced to your knowledge ?,
If your not sure, remove the rubber seal on the outside of the windscreen,
[make sire you use a couple of white board marks on it so it will go back in the same exact same position]
grab a wire tie and see if you can poke it through the seal on the inside of the windscreen seal on the side around to the top,
because it may not be sealed correctly,
If it does poke through on any area of the seal,
mark the area with a white board marker on the outside of the screen, so you know where to apply the sealant.
Get hold of a tube of windscreen sealant from Supercheap, Repco etc etc, and squeeze some sealant in gap from the outside,
and then re-fit the outside seal.
Probably take a few hours to cure.