Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

shudder on take off only

MrWooFarkinHoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Exec BT1
Hi guys,
any ideas on a shudder on take off - V6 auto standard BT1. I don't take off hard from a stop but the easier I take off the less the shudder but doesn't do it through the gear changes. Could it be worn upper control arms? just guessing here as it is not constant, only on take off.
Thanks in advance

airforceone

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx calais superc6
weres the shudder comin from,? could be centre bearing

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
My own experience is that my Commodore had the shudders from the day I bought it 7 years ago and still has it. I have a brother-in-law who has a wagon and it shudders worse than mine and also has done so since new. If you read the roadtests on Commodores (when new), they all comment on the harshness under heavy acceleration. So as far as I am concerned the shudder is normal. I must admit that a shot centre bearing or rear control arm with bad bushes or soft/broken engine mounts can make the shudder worse, but to go to the expense of replacing components simply because it's thought they are making the shudder worse has to be a waste of money.
If you look back on the history and design of the VN-VS Commodore, you'll find it started out in Europe with much smaller less powerful engines fitted. When GMH took up the design, they fitted an engine with almost double the European horsepower. Heaps of power in a light weight body = harsh.
Like I say, these are my opinions and plenty will disagree.....
Good Luck.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The overseas version (OPEL) that our commodore was based on is a world away from our cars,Holden spent millions in changing and strengthening and re engineering the body for aussie conditions.The first commodores (opels) that were brought here for testing etc, actually broke in half ,they broke at the body or chassis joints and seams,somewhere like that anyway,they also had trouble with the strut towers in the front.I also remember it was all over the news at the time,(the ford fans had a ball with that one,stuff like dont buy a commodore,they are rubbish and will snap in half etc)..Ive got a good video somewhere about the first commodores and what was done to them.The head engineer for holden at the time is on it explaining about the problems holden were having getting the VB ready for aussie conditions.It was project VB or something similar.Apparently they destroyed a hell of a lot of prototypes too, trying to get it right.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
centre bearing

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
I had this problem with my VR, took it to shops they all said it's a problem that could'nt be fixed. Replaced the harmonic balancer, did nothing.

Replaced the rear control arms, spot on perfect no shudder.

MrWooFarkinHoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Exec BT1
I had this problem with my VR, took it to shops they all said it's a problem that could'nt be fixed. Replaced the harmonic balancer, did nothing.

Replaced the rear control arms, spot on perfect no shudder.

Thanks nathanwright, I'd read somewhere a while ago that it could be rear upper control arms - you replaced the uppers or lowers?

deXtrous

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Acclaim
Mums car has same thing, it's a little Honda Jazz but it also cannot be fixed. Doesn't seem to impact the car in any way though.