Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shuddering after new mounts

Thomas Poly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore
Hey guys new to this forum.
I recently bought a 1996 VS commodore with only 91 thousand kms. I noticed it was vibrating at idle and while accelerating at low speeds, once I reached a higher speed vibrations stopped. I've replaced all engine mounts, and transmission mount and still vibrates. Just as much if not worse. I am cometely dumbfounded.
Your help is muchly appreciated

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Wouldn't be at all surprised if it's suffering from deteriorated inlet manifold gaskets with that fewer K's on it. I just did a set on a 98,000k car and now it starts beautifully and runs smooth as.

Thomas Poly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore
Wouldn't be at all surprised if it's suffering from deteriorated inlet manifold gaskets with that fewer K's on it. I just did a set on a 98,000k car and now it starts beautifully and runs smooth as.
Cheers man I'll definitely check it out

Thomas Poly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore
What parts do you recommend me getting and from where ? Repco ? Bursons ?

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend ? are you going to do the job yourself or get a professional to do it ?

Some on here will say use Mace parts but all in all I feel they are a bit of overkill for your average road car. I've used Permaseal, Platinum and a few others and non have let me down so far and none have come back for rework either. If this job is done rather methodically and correctly using adequate amounts of sealer in all the corners you shouldn't have any issues.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Commodores are very touchy when it comes to engine/gearbox mounts, even Repco rubber mounts are too harsh and can cause harmonic vibrations, I know because I chased my tail and spent a lot of money trying to get rid of harmonic vibrations.
If at all possible fit genuine engine/gearbox mounts.
If the vibrations is caused by a miss then seriously look at coils.

Thomas Poly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore
Commodores are very touchy when it comes to engine/gearbox mounts, even Repco rubber mounts are too harsh and can cause harmonic vibrations, I know because I chased my tail and spent a lot of money trying to get rid of harmonic vibrations.
If at all possible fit genuine engine/gearbox mounts.
If the vibrations is caused by a miss then seriously look at coils.
Thanks for the reply man, I put new spark plugs and coil pack on today hasn't changed anytjing. I'm begining to believe it's either poor quality mounts or intake manifold gasket. Only thing is I'm not getting any overheating or coolant leaks.
I've spent so much already and I'm pretty lost at the moment. Can't put my finger on it

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Don't think the intake manifold be a issue, I be getting you cylinders tested, could be a stuck exhaust valve, possibly a bad DFI, Fuel pressure. Vibrating or running rough?

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gee Trev, you just love to discredit other members on here and have new non experienced people chasing their tails.

Like really Trevor ! Testing Cylinders for stuck exhaust valves ????? This aint an old Briggs & Stratton on a lawnmower that's been sitting in a rusty shed for years I'm sure.

This is another perfect scenario where you again just rub people up the wrong way and then start a pissing contest with your superior Googling skills and no actual personal experience.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Lol, discredit get over yourself, chasing tales says the person who thinks a leak in the intake manifold would make a car shudder when there no mentioned of a coolant leak, nice try, if you want to throw around bs then don't accuse others.
As The OP said he just brought the car so how long was it sitting for? How old is the fuel? How is the motor running? How's the transmission?
Is the engine revving up in park without hesitation, any shaking if no then I be looking at transmission or tail shaft.
You also haven't replaced plug leads or no mention of it.

Last edited: