Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Sic six?

MACE

Reaction score
I haven't had any experience with Sic six, with SRE just get everything in writing.

An engine builder I work with heaps and and am happy with is John Hamilton.

John Hamilton | Facebook

He does a fair bit with these engine builds/machining. There is a fair amount of tricks that he does to these engines internally such as doweling cam bearings to prevent them from spinning etc. Most certainly rock solid builds great or small.

In saying this though any quality engine build will set you back heaps in machining alone let alone the expertise to put it all together.

Matchport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Ute
Just returned from a trip to the US Problemchild we now have a US company building our Billet rods, and forged pistons, still working on a supplier for a Billet crankshaft (sample crank on its way), we use a forged crank (4340) for our engine build at this stage, we are working on a "Halo girdel" for our engines to improve the botten end, we not only build our engines for our customers but we also drive our cars with the engines we build, yes our ute is a test mill at this stage we are up to 479 Rwhp 3.8 ltrs yes we had problems with it mainly the engine was moving aroud that mutch it keeps pulling the intercooler piping our, the engine is now solid mounted, in the make is a twin turbo, with a custom billet crank, we have to see how far we are going with this engine our aim is 700 +, we have a N/A engine with just over 279 rwhp, this car is after the fastest N/A in OZ, our blown unit when finished who knows.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
when you say billet rods and forged pistons, can you clarify for exactly what engine you are doing this? i.e. VN-VR buick V6 (with 6.38" rods)

there is also some interest in a girdle for the Buick V6 (VN-VR) and possibly 4 or 6 bolt steel mains caps conversions as there are a number of members looking at big HP FI V6 builds :D

Matchport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Ute
Immortality, when we build up a VN-VR engine over 350 bhp we use our billet main caps (# 2&3) and a set of ARP bolts, we have billet mains for #1 & 4, the problem we have is that the VN/VR cylinder heads on our flow bench will only go just over 200 cfm at .500 lift, Exhaust however is very good, we fit differend valves, for N/A and blown we use the same type valves (S/Steel) combustion chamber is somewhat changed, we only build 4Ltrs + engines, the rods are as long as we can get them to reduce cylinder wall load, the CD of the pistons is custom to suit the deck height. Halo girdle is for the Ecoteck, the series one (pre ecoteck) cylinder heads is the problem, we may have a way around this ( some aluminium heads may fit) but ill let you know in due time if this is going to work.

Jas.G

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 4.3litre
Just returned from a trip to the US Problemchild we now have a US company building our Billet rods, and forged pistons, still working on a supplier for a Billet crankshaft (sample crank on its way), we use a forged crank (4340) for our engine build at this stage, we are working on a "Halo girdel" for our engines to improve the botten end, we not only build our engines for our customers but we also drive our cars with the engines we build, yes our ute is a test mill at this stage we are up to 479 Rwhp 3.8 ltrs yes we had problems with it mainly the engine was moving aroud that mutch it keeps pulling the intercooler piping our, the engine is now solid mounted, in the make is a twin turbo, with a custom billet crank, we have to see how far we are going with this engine our aim is 700 +, we have a N/A engine with just over 279 rwhp, this car is after the fastest N/A in OZ, our blown unit when finished who knows.

Just seen this post, What did you's run N/A with times? I have never heard of anyone running faster then 12.37@108mph in a N/A v6 commodore, an this was done in West Australia back in 2009...

na3point8

Reaction score
Hi Jas, i think their v6 might've been in a Torana or something so it was probably quicker than the old commo.

I'm still toying with mine, i'd like to go turbo if i can find a cheap kit, i'll just drop the comp with some thicker gaskets and try around 15-16lb boost. Otherwise i have a 240 @ 50 solid cam if staying n/a, but it really needs a stalled auto, not a manual and highway gears.

Jas.G

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 4.3litre
Would be cool to know more about it as i've never heard of it or anyone running a quick NA v6!!! I think they did a HB torry with a turbo buick. from memory it was to be the fastest street driven buick with F/I?? may be wrong thow...

My 43 stroker is still sitting on a stand and toying with the idea of 2 stages of nitrous on it.... the Vn now has coilover adjustable suspension on it an all nolathaned bushing with adjustable caster rods in the front and set up with a manual steering rack an a repainted engine bay. but has sat still for awhile now :(
need to get back into it!