Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sick of my sub, how can I keep some bass

Mk2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais S2
So I've got a VX Calais which has the factory 8" subs in the parcel shelf but they're a bit rattly and kind of crappy. It's not really tight bass, more boomy. Is it going to be any better if I replace them with some half-decent 8" subs (I know there's a thread somewhere about using aftermarket speakers/subs with the factory amp) or am I better off just getting some 6x9s for the parcel? I'll be upgrading the fronts to some entry-level splits or coaxials but I'm just wondering if there is any consensus on the best solution for sub-less bass (I'm sick of losing all the boot space with this sub I have now).

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
I cant comment because I have never heard either stock 8" or after market in a VT, but are they running on a factory amp or a different one?

I have a friend with stock door speakers and Kenwood 6x9s running on a 300w 2 channel Kenwood amp ($79 brand new from ebay) and its pretty impressive for a low budget system, way louder than my old set up with a 12" but not as much bass.

Most people say a 6x9 is a substitute for a 8" round, but they are more than that. They add mid range and treble as well (3 ways 4 ways ect).

I'm quite happy with my factory system in my VT, just a after market MP3 player and stock door speakers (no 8"s in the shelf) but its still missing some bass. I really dont want another huge box and amp taking up room in my boot.

Ill probably end up getting 6x9s and a small amp one day but for now its not really a problem.

Mk2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais S2
I cant comment because I have never heard either stock 8" or after market in a VT, but are they running on a factory amp or a different one?
As far as I am aware there is a tiny amp hidden in the boot somewhere powering just the 8" subs.

Most people say a 6x9 is a substitute for a 8" round, but they are more than that. They add mid range and treble as well (3 ways 4 ways ect).
If I don't necessarily care about rear fill and just want to pick up a bit of tight bass would it be worth going with 6x9s? Which will give me more and tighter bass, the 6x9s or 8" rounds? Also, will the fact that the 8" subs won't be in any sort of enclosure affect the quality too much? And I want most of my soundstage to come from the front anyways which is why I'll be upgrading the fronts and probably leaving the rear.

I'm sure they're probably a killer sounding speaker but $400 a piece is a bit out of my price range. My budget is probably $400 all up for the two parcel replacements. lol

Mk2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais S2
Ta, I'm actually set on 8" now. I've been having a bit more of a read and it looks like the factory amp runs a low pass filter on the 8" subs and I really can't be bothered dealing with working around that with another amp to get 6x9s working properly.

I was having a look at Vibe's Space 8 sub and if they're going to sound decent I'd look at getting two of them, or if not I'll try something a bit cheaper along the lines of your link.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Vibe Space 8's will be good, but check with Joe first as them seem to be discontinued in that size (only 12" and up is still on the Vibe site), but Joe may have access to some. Give him a call, and tell him your from this forum, he always does deals.

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
Ta, I'm actually set on 8" now. I've been having a bit more of a read and it looks like the factory amp runs a low pass filter on the 8" subs and I really can't be bothered dealing with working around that with another amp to get 6x9s working properly.

I was having a look at Vibe's Space 8 sub and if they're going to sound decent I'd look at getting two of them, or if not I'll try something a bit cheaper along the lines of your link.

How would you run 8ohm subs on a 2 channel amp? I know lots of people used to do it (maybe still do) but I'm crap when it comes to wiring. I know I could probably google it but I think its not as simple as wire it up to a 4ohm amp and leave it.

Mk2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais S2
Vibe Space 8's will be good, but check with Joe first as them seem to be discontinued in that size (only 12" and up is still on the Vibe site), but Joe may have access to some. Give him a call, and tell him your from this forum, he always does deals.
Joe? Sorry, I'm new here.

The only thing I'm worried about with the Vibes is if they'll even fit the factory locations. I really don't want to have to dick around with too much custom work and would like to maintain the factory appearance.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Joe? Sorry, I'm new here.

The only thing I'm worried about with the Vibes is if they'll even fit the factory locations. I really don't want to have to dick around with too much custom work and would like to maintain the factory appearance.

Sorry should of thought of that, Joe Bellissimo, owns Shopping Secure, and is a sponsor here, Shopping Secure , his profile here where you can PM him, http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/members/joe-bellissimo.html , or just contact him on [email protected] or 0424 141 390