Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sick of my sub, how can I keep some bass

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
How would you run 8ohm subs on a 2 channel amp? I know lots of people used to do it (maybe still do) but I'm crap when it comes to wiring. I know I could probably google it but I think its not as simple as wire it up to a 4ohm amp and leave it.

most amps will run from 2 - 8 ohms with pretty low powered speakers without a problem.

a mate had 2 rockford fosgate punch 8's in his caprice running off a 2 channel 720 watt amp, and they went really well at 8 ohms

QldKev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina - GENIII
How would you run 8ohm subs on a 2 channel amp? I know lots of people used to do it (maybe still do) but I'm crap when it comes to wiring. I know I could probably google it but I think its not as simple as wire it up to a 4ohm amp and leave it.

google series Vs parallel wiring it will tell you all :)

QldKev

Mk2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais S2
Cheers. Shopping Secure has the Space 8s but I'm just going to try these crappy Jaycar ones first considering the price difference. Also I'm assuming I will need to build some enclosures and mount them under the parcel shelf somehow if I want the Vibes to sound as good as they should for that price.

On a side-note, why would the subs be popping when I take the key out and they lose power? All I have is an aftermarket headunit at the moment (JVC something something 616). I haven't had a chance to pull out the wiring from my old sub yet so I don't know if that has anything to do with it but if not is there anything else I need to run between the JVC and the factory amp to prevent the pops?

QldKev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina - GENIII
Cheers. Shopping Secure has the Space 8s but I'm just going to try these crappy Jaycar ones first considering the price difference. Also I'm assuming I will need to build some enclosures and mount them under the parcel shelf somehow if I want the Vibes to sound as good as they should for that price.

On a side-note, why would the subs be popping when I take the key out and they lose power? All I have is an aftermarket headunit at the moment (JVC something something 616). I haven't had a chance to pull out the wiring from my old sub yet so I don't know if that has anything to do with it but if not is there anything else I need to run between the JVC and the factory amp to prevent the pops?

That popping sound comes from the cheap eurovox amps holden used in these. Better amps have a built in delay to prevent this.

Make sure you post back how the jaycar subs go; if they are any good I may upgrade mine too.

QldKev

Mk2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais S2
Will do. As for the popping, will the new speakers get damaged by the pops? If so I'll look into an amp for the new 8s. I don't remember there being any pops with the stock headunit so I'm assuming there must've been a delay somewhere between the connection of the amp and HU? I just sold my monoblock to a mate too. :/

QldKev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina - GENIII
Mine pops with the stock HU, so I've always assumed it was the cause. If your one didn't do it before, then I suspect it could be an issue with earth planes. I may try picking up a dirfferent earth point on the amps and see if it helps.

QldKev

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS

yeah it would be the amp as the capacitors discharge rapidly
a good quality amp will discharge gradually when powered down, avoiding the 'pop'

I refuse to fit a sub to mine - I hate the clutter and the extra weight etc
I used to have an old Pioneer head unit with piddly 80W Pioneer 6x9's (2 ways) in my old VH that sounded heaps better than any similar setup I've tried since.
I've tried Pioneer and Kenwood headunits which claim considerably more power, and use 180W Pioneer (3 way) 6x9's, but the bass and midrange seem to be severely lacking.

Surely there is a way to achieve decent natural sort of bass (like home hi-fi not typical car sub boom-boom-boom) without going for a sub ?
My next step is to try a good quality amp, but wanted to avoid that if possible. I'm not after big volume (I rarely listen to anything much above loud talking volume), just good quality, full sound. I just don't know whether it's just the speakers not being as good as they used to be or the output of the headunit being crap. I was once told 3 ways aren't as good for bass as 2 ways ? Is there any truth to that ?
And/or is there a recommended 6X9 that is known for it's good quality sound

Mk2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais S2
I'm going to try and pop in to Jaycar tomorrow to pick up the subs. If I were to get an amp just for these subs what should I be looking for? 2 channel? 4 channel? I obviously won't be needing a very powerful one given they're only 90W each?

QldKev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina - GENIII
I'm going to try and pop in to Jaycar tomorrow to pick up the subs. If I were to get an amp just for these subs what should I be looking for? 2 channel? 4 channel? I obviously won't be needing a very powerful one given they're only 90W each?

They are 90W RMS, not peak. Peak their would be a lot higher.

Since they are 8ohm subs I would get a single channel amp (or a 2 channel amp that allows you to bridge it into 1 channel) and run the speakers in parallel; this will create a 4ohm load onto the amp. When looking at the amp remember you need a min of 90WRMS @ 4ohms. A lot of amps will show peak ratings and also watts at 2 or 1 ohm loads.

QldKev

Mk2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais S2
If I'm not being too cheeky would you be able to link me to a suitable amp so that I know what I am looking at as far as the specs go when trying to find something fitting your description? I am very new to all of this and my knowledge extends as far as 'okay, this red one goes in the red hole and the black one in the black hole'.