Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Side bonnet vents or no vents

do I keep the vents?

• Keep side vents

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Remove vents

Votes: 13 72.2%

• Total voters

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
Coming from a back ground of building old muscle and rat rods, this doesn’t make a lot of sense. Are you saying you can understand vents if it’s carburated but not injected? Because carby engines need vents to help dissipate heat, but injection engines don’t? Any engine will benefit from any help and getting rid of heat, especially an LS, wether it’s injected or carburated. This bonnet allows more room for a bigger blower or higher plenum for a turbo setup etc, while still being legal as far as bonnet scoops go. Adding more room around the motor will also add in more air flow. So many benefits from reducing heat in an engine bay
I have no idea how you were able to quote my post today with that second paragraph...
I edited my post and removed that second paragraph re: benefits of bonnet venting fuel injected engines... yesterday....
What's the story....?? Did you copy it from yesterday and post this morning...but not sure how you could have even done that, because I edited that part out almost immediately... after thinking about it.

Have a look at my original post, it does not include that paragraph...
?

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I guess it depends on the colour you intend to paint the bonnet. With a darker colour you might not notice them as much. Anything to get rid of heat in the bay is a bonus, especially towards the back of the bay where I would image there isn't a lot of air movement.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
If going black bonnet I would keep them.
If going orange bonnet and keeping vents black, then i would either paint the side vents orange too or ditch them.

villn808

Reaction score
Members Ride
Old thread but where did you get this from? And is the centre vent piece real carbon? Thanks.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6

Hsv18

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt ss Vx hsv kit
Coming from a back ground of building old muscle and rat rods, this doesn’t make a lot of sense. Are you saying you can understand vents if it’s carburated but not injected? Because carby engines need vents to help dissipate heat, but injection engines don’t? Any engine will benefit from any help and getting rid of heat, especially an LS, wether it’s injected or carburated. This bonnet allows more room for a bigger blower or higher plenum for a turbo setup etc, while still being legal as far as bonnet scoops go. Adding more room around the motor will also add in more air flow. So many benefits from reducing heat in an engine bay

Are fibre glass bonnets legal??