Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Side bonnet vents or no vents

do I keep the vents?

• Keep side vents

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Remove vents

Votes: 13 72.2%

• Total voters

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
If it was my car I would ditch the side vents......I think it would look a lot cleaner without them.
With that centre vent they look really small now & out of place to me and look more like something you would find on a rice burner.

SMS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS ute

Attachments

• IMG_7996.JPG
    IMG_7996.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 594

SMS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS ute
If it was my car I would ditch the side vents......I think it would look a lot cleaner without them.
With that centre vent they look really small now & out of place to me and look more like something you would find on a rice burner.

Yeah I agree. I really didn't like them before I even put them on the car. I never liked them in the vf2's either. Misses was saying it looked good and I was second guessing myself then

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
looks good will keep under bonnet temp down for you

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
What do you think? Did you read my first post?
Yep but missed the repaint bit. More focussed in the intake design and the fact that it was a fibreglass bonnet. My mistake.

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
Difficult to say, the image is a bit too dark and I'd need to see a couple of photos from different angles, in better lighting.
But from what I can see, the two small vents on the sides look good, but that large vent in the center.....nup.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
I feel like playing need for speed underground after viewing this.

SMS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS ute
Difficult to say, the image is a bit too dark and I'd need to see a couple of photos from different angles, in better lighting.
But from what I can see, the two small vents on the sides look good, but that large vent in the center.....nup.

What benefits are these vents meant to offer?
I can understand the old carburetor engines with the high rise manifolds having the bonnet cutouts/vents, but not the modern direct injection engines..

Coming from a back ground of building old muscle and rat rods, this doesn’t make a lot of sense. Are you saying you can understand vents if it’s carburated but not injected? Because carby engines need vents to help dissipate heat, but injection engines don’t? Any engine will benefit from any help and getting rid of heat, especially an LS, wether it’s injected or carburated. This bonnet allows more room for a bigger blower or higher plenum for a turbo setup etc, while still being legal as far as bonnet scoops go. Adding more room around the motor will also add in more air flow. So many benefits from reducing heat in an engine bay