Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Side Door Protection

Ronaldw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CALAIS DEC 2007
Holden are no longer going to use side door protection strips on Commodores from the VE on, what I would like to know is does anyone care about other people banging their doors against your car I know I do and in the past it has cost me a small fortune getting these dints out and resprayed.
I think the good strong rubber strips on the "VT" where terrific!!.:cry:

Clinster

Reaction score
Website
s2.photobucket.com
Members Ride
VSII Berlina
I guess they are like mudflaps on the 'Cool' factor.
With the VE being wider those types of dings could be more common!!
Especially getting the 1st one, it would be enough to make me cry!!

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
Fantastically good point you bring up...

For some reason, modern (Australian) cars are getting bigger and bigger and wider and wider...yet anyone who looks at modern and recent carpark design will notice that carparks are getting narrower, and the distance (width of lanes) between one row of parks and the other is getting narrower as well, making it more difficult to swing into a park. The business can fit in more customers cars, but it makes it harder to park...I know for an example at our local K-Mart, the new underground carpark is set up for nothing much bigger than an Astra or Mazda 3 or 6...our VX Lumina has had quite a few interesting moments trying to negotiate very tight turns into car parks there...

I would imagine this is going by the standard logic that with rising petrol prices, you would think car makers would be going for smaller vehicles.
Go to a (shock, horror!) Japanese car makers showroom...any of them...or European makers for that matter...you will see that in relatively small cars, they can package a quite amazing amount of space inside the vehicles.

I am afraid that in the next, say, five years, I can see Holden and Ford facing a crisis like their mother companies in the USA...the management will think that the public loves bigger and bigger cars...the trouble is that the public does love bigs cars...but economic reality means that people, the majority, will come in off the street and look at a new Commodore and say "cool", but then walk right on by to actually purchase the Astra or something...

mongoose3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
I think the biggest area for damage when parking in tight areas will be those flared wheel arches.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
I know what you're saying Ronald, but those strips are very daggy IMO.

Maybe they could've compromised and had the strips colour-coded or something. The one's on my VY SS are colour coded and don't stick out too much, but I spose that defeats the purpose?

I'd still prefer no strips. It looks much nicer. But then again, I'm incredibly fussy with my parking spots - it drives my GF insane! Haven't had any car park damage to date *knocks on wood*

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
No strips looks better, I noticed at work, the SeriesI VZ commodores with the strips had no dints on them, then the seriesII came with no strips; every one of those commodores had aleast 1 dint on either side.

I can say the strip does protected it to some extent, but I wish they made panels where it is so strong that it doesnt get dinted. Love the Korean made kia's panel, sooo soft.

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
those stripes only work on on rare occasions. for example it sperfect if your up against another commodore. but other cars often have different shaped doors therefore there furtherest part out has a chance of been in a different spot(higher or lower). ie 4wd's and the little kids that just swing the doors open. rarely those stripes help

L

LeBoofer

naf33n said:
those stripes only work on on rare occasions. for example it sperfect if your up against another commodore. but other cars often have different shaped doors therefore there furtherest part out has a chance of been in a different spot(higher or lower). ie 4wd's and the little kids that just swing the doors open. rarely those stripes help

Thats quite right. My mate has a VT and parked it next to a jacked up Patrol, and the owner just about took out his windows! (slight exaggeration there) It caused some reasonable damage not so far down from the window pane.

I also think that the strips are a tad tacky, even though in the some situations they can be beneficial.

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
davey g-force said:
I'd still prefer no strips. It looks much nicer. But then again, I'm incredibly fussy with my parking spots - it drives my GF insane! Haven't had any car park damage to date *knocks on wood*

:rofl: yeah the GF just sits and shakes her head :rofl: