Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SIDI 3.0 vs 3.6 exhaust difference

pimpjuice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Berlina wagon V6
Hired an SIDI SV6 when I was in Darwin a few weeks ago. I have a 3.0 SIDI and I noticed an immediate difference in exhaust sound. It wasn't massive but it had a much more raspier snarl which I really liked.

Now, if I put on a set of ss quad tips, particularly the afm Y tips ones, will it have that snarl im after? Or does the SV6 have same exhaust as 3.0, just with chrome tips?

1_johnboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
11` VE Omega
I doubt it would give the same sound, it will probably give you some sound - but not the sv6 sound. I would imagine the sounds difference comes from the 3.6 having an exhaust manifold - and the 3.0 not having one.

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
I would imagine the sounds difference comes from the 3.6 having an exhaust manifold - and the 3.0 not having one.

o_O

What do you mean exactly? Every car has an exhaust manifold ;-)

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Both the 3L and 3.6L now have integrated exhaust manifolds. The 3L was the first to get the integrated manifold so will depend on which MY you are comparing to which.

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
there must be a little difference, muffler wise.
coz I put SV6 mufflers with single chrome tips on my dads 3.0 International wagon and it's got a bit more base

1_johnboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
11` VE Omega
I was under the impressing the 3.6 sidi has a traditional exhaust manifold (pipe per cylinder) and the 3.0 sidi only have one pipe for all 3 cylinders

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
I was under the impressing the 3.6 sidi has a traditional exhaust manifold (pipe per cylinder) and the 3.0 sidi only have one pipe for all 3 cylinders

LFX 3.6 has integrated manifold. Earlier versions have traditional manifold. Engines with integrated manifold only have one hole coming out of the engine as the manifold is "integrated" ie like looking at the bottom of the manifold.