Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SIDI SV6 SERIES I - excessive engine oil consumption

davescaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
caprice sidi v6
Caprice oil consumption

Hi guys,

I purchased a new SIDI SV6 MY10 commodore series I from a Holden dealership at the end of last year.

I decided to change the engine oil at around 8000kms(before the recommended 15,000kms), when I took it to my mechanic he couldn't get a reading as the Dip-stick indicated NO oil. After releasing the engine oil, there was only around 4.7L which should be 6.5L when full (max capacity).

After replenishing the engine oil(Recommended oil viscosity) back to 6.5L and less than 5000kms later, the dipstick showed engine oil levels less than half-way. between "ADD-AREA" and "UPPER-AREA"

The car has always been carefully driven, never thrashed and had 98 RON fuel ever since its first refill.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi I have a 2010 sidi v6 caprice with an identical problem.Holden dealer tells me its normal. How can a new car burn so much oil.any help apreciated

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
I've got a 2010 SV6 Ute, SIDI.
Right from the word go I was giving it a hard time.
I change the oil and filter every 7500km, but I haven't noticed ANY change in oil level, stays exactly where I left it when changing the oil :)

davescaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
caprice sidi v6
same problem I have

Hi guys,

I purchased a new SIDI SV6 MY10 commodore series I from a Holden dealership at the end of last year.

I decided to change the engine oil at around 8000kms(before the recommended 15,000kms), when I took it to my mechanic he couldn't get a reading as the Dip-stick indicated NO oil. After releasing the engine oil, there was only around 4.7L which should be 6.5L when full (max capacity).

After replenishing the engine oil(Recommended oil viscosity) back to 6.5L and less than 5000kms later, the dipstick showed engine oil levels less than half-way. between "ADD-AREA" and "UPPER-AREA"

The car has always been carefully driven, never thrashed and had 98 RON fuel ever since its first refill.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, can you tell me if you got GMH to fix your car .My car has exactly the same motor and problem. They keep telling me 3 litres of burnt oil every 15000 km is normal and I know its not.Can you help

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
...If the engine oil level is low, the 'Check oil' indicator would light up on the dashboard
If it was a Subaru you were talking about, this "Check oil" light should be renamed "Your engine just sh1t itself" light. If you see that light, it's too late, your engine just seized

curious2010

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 SIDI Series I Auto
Hi Mate

I would go back to the dealership, tell them you have noticed excessive engine oil consumption, what they will do is conduct an oil consumption test, they will fill up your engine oil levels to full, then tell you to drive 3000kms and bring the car back to them, they will then measure the amount of oil burnt and tell you whether its within the tolerance range (They have a curved line graph for their engine oil burning tolerance levels). If the amount burnt is over the specified range, then they will offer to fix the engine for you.

Make sure when you go to the dealer and they fill up your engine oil that the correct engine oil viscosity is used, eg, SIDI 3.6L should be 5W/30.

newcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6
mine is SV6 Series II bought new on Jan 2011 - last couple of days, engine was making noise sometimes, so I brought it in to service. Dealer says my engine oil is 5 L short! WHAT?
I've had many cars before - but this is the first time a car consumed engine oil like that.
I don't drive like a maniac, and it only has 10000 km on it. Dealer wants me to bring it back after 1000km to see if it's still eating oil.
Very strange.

Phantom6 SportWagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY10 SIDI Sportwagon
Ive had my SV6 SIDI since new bought in september 2010 and i havent had any problems what so ever with oil, everytime i check (weekly) its been full, along with all my other fluids and oils. Now going for my 30000km service saturday.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
i have 2010 sv6 sidi and service it every 7500
not missing any oil between changes
Using Shell helix Ultra 5w-30 and drive it hard

Something_Wrong

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Sv6 Sports Wagon
mine is SV6 Series II bought new on Jan 2011 - last couple of days, engine was making noise sometimes, so I brought it in to service. Dealer says my engine oil is 5 L short! WHAT?
I've had many cars before - but this is the first time a car consumed engine oil like that.
I don't drive like a maniac, and it only has 10000 km on it. Dealer wants me to bring it back after 1000km to see if it's still eating oil.
Very strange.

Mine is a April 2011 SV6 Auto S2 and i used 2.5ltrs between the first service and the 15,000km service. I am now 1500km into a 3000km oil consumption test. By the feel of this thread it must be a issue.
The noise you had was probably like mine, when i accelerated in first and then lifted my foot i got a air rush sound from the vents, that say it was from some actuators on the cams not getting oil.

As for checking a vehicle fluids weekly, i bought a new car so i didn't have to too. I had a 2008 petrol Hilux that never used oil between services (Despite being driven hard) and my wifes 2006 CRV also never uses oil.

I do have a good dealer who will sort it out,

Phantom6 SportWagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY10 SIDI Sportwagon
Ive checked all my fluids weekly on every car ive ever had and its just become a habbit, id rather spend time checking and know they are all topped up rather than find out the hard way....