Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SIDI SV6 SERIES I - excessive engine oil consumption

jamesmp

The Photo Journalist
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Members Ride
MY12 VE Commodore SS

Something_Wrong

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Sv6 Sports Wagon
Just had my car checked after doing 3245km and it used just over 1ltr of oil, since its 15,000km service in Nov 2011.

The dealer is sending a request to holden to fit a "service bulliten" modified PCV and hose kit to it, which is stage one of the repair, they also said they now have a few cars with oil consumption test results pending.

If i wanted to top up my oil weekly i would have bought a Great Wall, Oh hang on they dont need the oil topped up.

calais06

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais MY06
Just had my car checked after doing 3245km and it used just over 1ltr of oil, since its 15,000km service in Nov 2011.

The dealer is sending a request to holden to fit a "service bulliten" modified PCV and hose kit to it, which is stage one of the repair, they also said they now have a few cars with oil consumption test results pending.

If i wanted to top up my oil weekly i would have bought a Great Wall, Oh hang on they dont need the oil topped up.

Hey mate,

I have a series 1 195kw ve, I have the same issues as above, excessive oil consumption. Mine is around 2-3l of oil used per 3500km travelled. I have a oil catch can which is around 250mls, and i have to empty it every second weekend, so I know it's the valve that's the issue.

I called my local Holden dealer and they didn't know the VE's had a PCV Valve, do you know if they differ from series I to series II?

Which dealer are you using (pm me if u can)

Thanks heaps.

Edit: I travel around 650km/week.

rumper

Reaction score
Website
www.brewersupplies.com.au
Members Ride
VF Maloo
I have this same problem on my and my missus VE V6,
And i reckon i have actually worked this issue out. Maybe not everybodies problem but most of you.
If you take the black air intake box off your throttle body and look inside it you will see a pool of oil in the bottom.
My theory is that it is actually sucking oil in thru the tube that runs back down over your right side rocker cover and is attached to the pcv valve at the rear of the rocker cover. Maybe the pcv valve needs replacing. Let me know what you find in the black box

Something_Wrong

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Sv6 Sports Wagon
And i reckon i have actually worked this issue out. Maybe not everybodies problem but most of you.
If you take the black air intake box off your throttle body and look inside it you will see a pool of oil in the bottom.
My theory is that it is actually sucking oil in thru the tube that runs back down over your right side rocker cover and is attached to the pcv valve at the rear of the rocker cover. Maybe the pcv valve needs replacing. Let me know what you find in the black box

I will clock up a few KM and have a look inside the throttle body, I think you maybe right since they are doing a warranty service bulletin on replacing the PCV and line under warranty. hope that is the fix i need

calais06

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais MY06

That's the issue mine had/has, as a temporary fix I got a oil catch can.. The fluid it catches is disgusting, glad its not going back through the engine now..

Have a look on the lower edge of your throttle body, mine had oil there that I had to clean + oil in the bottom of the air box piping to the throttle.

rumper

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VF Maloo
Mine was getting so bad that it was sucking oil thru the throttle body and setting off the check engine light.
The code was something to do with the ABS???? Weird.
It also kept switching the stability control on and off every 10 minutes.
Soon as i took the black box off, cleaned it out and cleaned the throttle body out, good as gold, not a problem since. So i know what the problem is with mine
next time it happens

rumper

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VF Maloo
Mine was getting so bad that it was sucking oil thru the throttle body and setting off the check engine light.
Soon as i took the black box off, cleaned it out and cleaned the throttle body out, good as gold, not a problem since. So i know what the problem is with mine
next time it happens.
And i have to do something about my missus car soon, its going thru about a litre every 2 weeks

calais06

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais MY06
next time it happens

Mine was getting abs codes as well + check engine light, didn't think it was related :s
Haven't had check engine light since installing the catch can and resetting the codes.

Something_Wrong

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Sv6 Sports Wagon
2 weeks till i get the new PCV and hose kit installed, I also have 3 trips to Canberra and one to Newcastle so that will be a good test to see if its fixed (2,000km in 2 weeks)