Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SIDI SV6 SERIES I - excessive engine oil consumption

curious2010

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 SIDI Series I Auto
Hi guys,

I purchased a new SIDI SV6 MY10 commodore series I from a Holden dealership at the end of last year.

I decided to change the engine oil at around 8000kms(before the recommended 15,000kms), when I took it to my mechanic he couldn't get a reading as the Dip-stick indicated NO oil. After releasing the engine oil, there was only around 4.7L which should be 6.5L when full (max capacity).

After replenishing the engine oil(Recommended oil viscosity) back to 6.5L and less than 5000kms later, the dipstick showed engine oil levels less than half-way. between "ADD-AREA" and "UPPER-AREA"

The car has always been carefully driven, never thrashed and had 98 RON fuel ever since its first refill.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

ollie_yzf

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE sv6 ute
I checked mine the other day, it was showing real low on the dipstick. Its just about done 15,000kms, It was serviced first at 5,000. Oils too thin maybe? (mines a non sidi sv6)

brad87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan 200SX S14
Sounds like it wasn't driven hard enough during the first 500km.

The best way to run in an engine and bed in the rings properly is to give it heaps of load (but not too many revs). So pretty much take it round lots of windy roads and drive as hard as u can till about 5000rpm then change up and repeat and never stay at the same revs, constantly vary it.

Doing the above will give U the BEST oil consumtion over the life of the engine.

curious2010

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 SIDI Series I Auto
The engine oil I used to refill at around 8000kms was Castrol edge sport 5W-30. Which is the recommended oil viscosity.

Did you change the engine oil at 5000kms?

I checked mine the other day, it was showing real low on the dipstick. Its just about done 15,000kms, It was serviced first at 5,000. Oils too thin maybe? (mines a non sidi sv6)

curious2010

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 SIDI Series I Auto
Well, I did abit of reading about running in the engine. There is actually a section in the owners manual about engine running-in and despite following the procedure, doesn't seem like it has helped much.

Does this mean the piston rings might need to be replaced?

Sounds like it wasn't driven hard enough during the first 500km.

The best way to run in an engine and bed in the rings properly is to give it heaps of load (but not too many revs). So pretty much take it round lots of windy roads and drive as hard as u can till about 5000rpm then change up and repeat and never stay at the same revs, constantly vary it.

Doing the above will give U the BEST oil consumtion over the life of the engine.

Cruzer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SSV
Hi My SV6 non SIDI has used half a litre in the last 5000km so i topped it up and if its down again by next service will be going to dealer, as yours has dropped so much twice i would be hitting up th dealer to check it out 2, also maybe have a look a mobil 1 oil its alot more expesive but i heard its the best so i will be giving that ago next service,

curious2010

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 SIDI Series I Auto
Yeah true, I emailed the dealer last night and booked a service for the end of this week. I saw from another forum/thread that if there is still excessive engine oil consumption, then the dealer may take the car in to replace the piston rings.

Since the service intervals are 15,000kms, 30,000kms, 45,000kms...it should not be necessary to have to replace the engine oil during those service periods and nor should the oil levels drop so low that the dip-stick can't even get a reading!

Hi My SV6 non SIDI has used half a litre in the last 5000km so i topped it up and if its down again by next service will be going to dealer, as yours has dropped so much twice i would be hitting up th dealer to check it out 2, also maybe have a look a mobil 1 oil its alot more expesive but i heard its the best so i will be giving that ago next service,

Cruzer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SSV
Yea read that to mate when i first found discovered my cars little issue, If it does it again after this service you have booked they should have no reason not to change them or check everything else as its obviously not normal etc, as for the recommended service times every 15000km its to bigger gap, like alot of people and what you are already doing is do an oil and filter change either 5000km after the dealer service or halfway "7500km" ensuring the engine doesnt do over 10000km with the same oil, which will ensure longer engine life etc and also keep ur extended warrenty etc. Prob also after this service you get done now check it every 1000-2000km just to see what the usage rate is. It def isnt leaking?

Yeah true, I emailed the dealer last night and booked a service for the end of this week. I saw from another forum/thread that if there is still excessive engine oil consumption, then the dealer may take the car in to replace the piston rings.

Since the service intervals are 15,000kms, 30,000kms, 45,000kms...it should not be necessary to have to replace the engine oil during those service periods and nor should the oil levels drop so low that the dip-stick can't even get a reading!

azzss

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY 9.5 SSV Sportswagon M6 & 08 prado D4D GXL M6
Different engine i know, but my l98 was using oil when i first got it (ex gmh 20000k's) it was half way on the stick when i picked it up and it was on add by the time i got to 22500km's. I changed it at this point (every 7500km's) but used mobil 1 5w30 and it dropped to half on the stick in the first 1500km's. I thought here we go an oil burner! so i topped it up again and for some reason it never moved off full and was still on full when i dropped it at 30000km's. Used it again and have done 3000km's since and hasn't moved!. We have two alloytec's in the family (one vz and a ve) and they have been on mobil syn 5w30 with no issues with the vz having done 90000km's. So i don't know whether the oil sorted mine out or not but i'd like to think so!
Cheers.

curious2010

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 SIDI Series I Auto
Misread my odometer....It's currently at 10387kms and I last topped up at 8293kms

So that's alittle over 2000kms and the engine oil dipstick is already indicating less than half full...:help:

Different engine i know, but my l98 was using oil when i first got it (ex gmh 20000k's) it was half way on the stick when i picked it up and it was on add by the time i got to 22500km's. I changed it at this point (every 7500km's) but used mobil 1 5w30 and it dropped to half on the stick in the first 1500km's. I thought here we go an oil burner! so i topped it up again and for some reason it never moved off full and was still on full when i dropped it at 30000km's. Used it again and have done 3000km's since and hasn't moved!. We have two alloytec's in the family (one vz and a ve) and they have been on mobil syn 5w30 with no issues with the vz having done 90000km's. So i don't know whether the oil sorted mine out or not but i'd like to think so!
Cheers.