Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SiDi SV6 -> SS V8

CH3F

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sedan
Curious to know what would be required to convert a SV6 into a SS mechanically...
Interested in stepping up into the V8 world and am curious as to the price difference of Purchasing a new/used SS and redoing my current mods
or buying a Crate LS3 and dropping it into the SV6 body...

What other parts would DEFINATELY need to be upgraded to handle such a conversion?
Diff?
Gearbox?

Not interested in stupid responses ie Holden badge would have to be replaced for a Chev one

Cheers

a.critta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series II
Im guessing it will be cheaper just to upgrade to an ss rather than converting your SV6 to a SS
The LS3 option would be pretty great though! I think definitly cheaper than buying a gts.
Dont know exactly what it would require but im guessing definitely transmission, your diff would handle the power (guessing you would want the higher ratio with the LS3 eventually though), dont know about drive shafts and everything else though.
The LS3 conversion has always crossed my mind, will be interesting to see mate!

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Pretty much need to take everything mechanical and electronic out of an SS to make it work on your car. Computer, trans, springs, brakes, (check booster size), ac rerouted differently, wiring looms etc

Whitesack07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S
Just sell an buy a v8 save a lot of time, effort an even save money, also insurance would change cause it would be classed as "highly modified"

CH3F

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sedan
My insurance company doesn't care what I do as long as its street legal, my premium doesn't change
I know it would be easier to upgrade but was looking for a price comparison

hmmm so a crate LS3 and a Stat write off SS: should be less than $10,000
cost will come from labour...

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Curious to know what would be required to convert a SV6 into a SS mechanically...
Interested in stepping up into the V8 world and am curious as to the price difference of Purchasing a new/used SS and redoing my current mods
or buying a Crate LS3 and dropping it into the SV6 body...

What other parts would DEFINATELY need to be upgraded to handle such a conversion?
Diff?
Gearbox?

Not interested in stupid responses ie Holden badge would have to be replaced for a Chev one

Cheers

All of the above and then some. Just sell the SV6 and buy a SS. Will be a ton cheaper, work better and waaaaaaaaaaaay easier to insure and sell later.

Reaper

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Why would you bother

glennho

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS -1977 HX Premier,2012 Hilux 4x4
just buy the ss and enjoy!

RedhotThunder

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 2 VE Thunder Sv6
haha mmm the crossroads.... Keep spending money on your v6 and making it look the goods but worry you may have to start again as it will just never satisfy compared to a v8. If it were upto me I'd stick with the car you have and do the conversion piece by piece. The cost may be more in the end but it will happen in increments and you won't lose out on your current mods (you're not going to get what you paid for with regards to the physical mods back if you sell it). Things i'm pretty sure that will need to be done which would probably make your car better anyways

Brakes
Suspension (in the front I think is slightly different on the SS to cover the extra weight)
Transmission, cost like 2k brand new out of Street Machines mag, thats the T56 i think.
I think the SS radiator is slightly different? Takes oil or something? not sure
Majority of the wiring engine wise

I'd say the best bet would be to accumulate bits in pieces as you go, finding 1 getting wrecked would be the best bet, always pop up on ebay selling items cheap as chips. LS3 or LS7 would be the way to go I reckon just to keep it different from the majority of SS's.

Scores of people do engine conversions all the time, get some professional advice and see where you end up.

You could alternatively wait and see how technology comes along with the sidi engines, cams look promising; wack a supercharger on there down the track and it should go harder than a stock SS, maybe even the majority that get the otr/catback/tune combo but thats uncertain. Of course you will be lacking the sound and the overall possibilities of the v8 engine, but if you want to keep it streetable you can't really go over the top.

I think its totally upto you mate, if you don't want the hassle then trade-up. But you will have to start at square 1 again and you've already made a fair bit of effort. Betting if you got the conversion done successfully aswell you'd be on the cards for a feature in a magazine, seen cars get in for MUCH less.

Slightly off topic, a guy on ProUtes got his ve alloytec cammed recently and it sounds pretty damn nice, really lumpy idle. Still waiting on the tune though so might be a decent indicator how much steve can get out of the sidi and i'll keep you posted on that if you're interested.