Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Siezed VSII Commodore Ute

basebrendan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Hey,
My engine seized on a trip from Perth to sydney last month. still chasing why as there were no signs until it happened but Since Im going to need a new engine I can get a VY for about $600 with 120000km. How compatible will this be with my VS. I read a post on another Forum saying that only the intake manifolds differ and can be swaped. While Im confident I can Do the swap myself as I havent done one befor it would be nice if someone who has done one could give me some guidance.

Basebrendan

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
hi mate, welcome to JC

the swap can be done, and fairly easily too, there where a couple of threads on this just recently too, i think it was vt or vx to vs. there are a couple of things but a quick search will bring up the threads with all the relevant info in them.

basebrendan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Could someone post the links that ephect speaks of cause I just spent an hour looking and cant find anyone who has put a VT,VX or VY engine into a VS Commodore

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
Welcome.
I've done it a few times. Very easy to do. Not much is different between the vs and vy ecotec except for egr, coolant temp sender, pcv and exhaust manifolds. To fit into your vs you'll have to do the following:
Fit your vs drivers side exhaust manifold to the vy motor to remove egr thread.
Fit your vs inlet manifold to the vy motor (this is because the vs manifold has an extra coolant temp sender to work your cluster temp gauge and its located just under the thermostat housing with one single green wire with a black clip attached to it). Alternatively you could drill and tap this extra sender into the vy manifold. The thread is a tapered thread, not parallel, and its 1/8npt. Its easier to just swap the manifols over though.
Fit your vs plenum to the vy motor. This is needed as the vs does not run egr like the vt onwards ecotecs. Alternatively you can block the egr port in the manifold just behind the throttle body, but once again as you have the vs parts on hand its easier to just swap them over.
I'd recommend using the vy injectors and fuel rail so swap this over onto your vs plenum as well.
Fit your vs cannister purge solenoid hose to the vy motor. (6mm black hose that runs from charcoal cannister behind drivers headlight back to small black box on the rear of drivers side cylinder head).
Make sure you've got good engine mounts to go back it with the new motor too. Easy job when the motor's out, not quite so easy once in the car.
That's about it, everything else is the same.
Good luck with it.
Cheers
Chris.

blue vs 5ltr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5ltr ute
i have also done this and yeah its simple to do. only issue i had is i got a auto motor and had to drill in the holes for the fly wheel dowls. i have since converted to a v8 and now have the engine sitting in shed it only has bout 120- 130k on it

basebrendan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Would you been interested in selling it?

basebrendan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
What about the engine Management computer? Is that an issue?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
nope, keep everything the same ecu & bcm and theres no issues

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
What about the engine Management computer? Is that an issue?

As above by ephect, no problems at all. Just use your existing vs pcm and engine harness. Apart from a larger capacity sump than vs (which is a good thing), and the minor differences i've already mentioned to swap over to suit a vs, there is no differences between the vs and vy motor that will cause any problems. All sensors and plugs etc are the same between all the ecotecs.
Cheers