Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

*Sigh* Front Tyres Scrubbing on Struts...

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
I got 245/35 R19 tyres on my new rims... And at first I didnt think they were scrubbing but as it turns out they are... You can just hear it sometimes, its only very minor...

Now the thing is it would be fine but Tyrepower gave me the wrong sized tyre profile, a 35 instead of a 30... Which means my new rolling diameter is 23mm larger than my old one...

So until I need new tyres and can get the correct tyre profile... Is there anything I can do to stop the tyres scrubbing on the strut?

Will it cause damage to the strut or is it dangerous? It doesnt seem to be hindling handling or anything, but it does seem to be making the steering wheel vibrate a bit...

I cannot get the wheels engineered with a 35 profile tyre, it makes the overall diameter of the wheel too large, it must be within 15mm of the original rolling diameter to get the wheel legally engineered.

A 35 profile 19" wheel would be fine if the tyre was skinnier, making the rolling diameter the same... But on a 245 tyre a 35 profile simply makes it too large...

And I got 245's cause I wanted fat tyres... Tyrepower said it would be fine as did Wheel Worx... But it does rub on the strut because of the increased diameter of the tyre and it only JUST rubs. I cant see where its touching though, it must be at the very centre where its making contact...

Last edited:

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
if they fitted the wrong size tyres take it back and get them to change them.
there is not really any thing you can do to stop them rubbing short of taking them off.
this can be dangerous if its the tyre rubbing on the strut. it will burn down the tyre and cause a weak spot in the outer edge of the tyre or rubbing threw the tyre and causing it to go flat.
the strut will out last the tyre, the only thing it will do is rub the paint off

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
I got 245/35 R19 tyres on my new rims... And at first I didnt think they were scrubbing but as it turns out they are... You can just hear it sometimes, its only very minor...

Now the thing is it would be fine but Tyrepower gave me the wrong sized tyre profile, a 35 instead of a 30... Which means my new rolling diameter is 23mm larger than my old one...

So until I need new tyres and can get the correct tyre profile... Is there anything I can do to stop the tyres scrubbing on the strut?

Will it cause damage to the strut or is it dangerous? It doesnt seem to be hindling handling or anything, but it does seem to be making the steering wheel vibrate a bit...
A 30 series profile on a 19'..................trust me they didnt fit the wrong thing. Any 19's in a 30 profile are for large widths. For example in the Nankang range the 30 series in a 19" is a 265 width.
17's run a 45, 18's a 40, 19's a 35 and 20's a 30.
AirStrike :air:

dmitch

DonkeySS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS S2
if u asked for 30 instead of 35.. then take it back and get them 2 change.. free of charge of course... but common sense should of told them that there was gonna b a prob with the 35.

MaN|aC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 4.2 S/C
is the width of the wheel is 8 inch? try getting some 235 tyres if possible

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
is the width of the wheel is 8 inch? try getting some 235 tyres if possible
I didnt notice that. Why did you go a 245 and not a 235?
AirStrike :air:

MaN|aC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 4.2 S/C
most 19's out there are 245/35

MaN|aC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 4.2 S/C
its only 10mm difference, just have 235 on the front and 245 on the rear but you cant rotate the wheels around