Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sign of a failing master cylinder?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Hi All,

Over the past couple of weeks I've been noticing my brakes aren't performing as well as they could be after 20-30km of driving.

I'm finding after going down an incline, the brakes aren't holding when I come to a stop, the car is slowly trying to creep forward.

I've bled fresh fluid through with no change, the brakes work fine around town when cold but as soon as I go on a decent drive I'm finding they just don't seem to be holding as much pressure as they should.

The master cylinder doesn't appear to be leaking but would this be a good indication of a failing cylinder or should I be looking elsewhere?

Cheers

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
how old are the calipers and hoses, has it got abs and is the booster/mc still original another thing is the vacuum

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
how old are the calipers and hoses, has it got abs and is the booster/mc still original another thing is the vacuum

I'm going to take a good guess that everything is original from 94'

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
I'm going to take a good guess that everything is original from 94'
you could you try replacing the booster /mc but if you plan on doing a front brake upgrade its about the same money to replace your old vr brakes and fit a vt-vy booster/mc i did this to my old 20 year brakes

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I seriously doubt it'd be a booster issue.....The booster in my VC failed out of the blue and now my brake pedal is as hard as a rock....

Does the brake pedal start sinking, whilst you have pressure on it? That's a sign the master cylinder is starting to fail

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
The brake pedal doesn't feel like it's sinking, the brakes just don't want to hold.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Crap pads and or glazed discs can do what you describe. Get your discs machined and use some quality brake pads.

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
My booster and MC went together. Booster had a leak, which caused a waayy harder pedal and random stalling issues (Vac leak).

MC was leaking in the back and was obviously leaking.

When did you last overhaul the calipers? Could be stuck/sticking slide pins, along with pads n calipers?