Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sikaflex removal

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Im near pulling the door moulds off and attacking the sikaflex

I did it on my VS so ive been through the hell before

I got an interesting idea of using a "hot knife" i reckon it would slice the sika like butter

They seem hard to find. Theyre an actual tool you can buy i think they cut fabric and foam

Anyone know where to get a sort of tool like this

Another trick is to attach a razor blade on the end of a soldering iron

Any risk of melting the paint work here

Else im gonna put double masking tape on either side of the sika and then slide a sharp chisel or blade through it

I know that if u can get then sika thin enough it will rub off with heat and wax grease remover

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Caramel wheel.

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
i tried the caramel wheel on the 1995 VS and within minutes i was marking the paint work

The dude at the paint shop said the VY is 2-pac paint and if the doors havent been resprayed the caramel wheel will be fine in the silver paint

im obviously dented from my experience on the VS

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
i tried the caramel wheel on the 1995 VS and within minutes i was marking the paint work

The dude at the paint shop said the VY is 2-pac paint and if the doors havent been resprayed the caramel wheel will be fine in the silver paint

im obviously dented from my experience on the VS
The vs is 2 pack paint too.

Remember paint is a type of polymer or plastic so will melt with too much heat. Some paints are a more resistant than others.

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
hot knife....

_dsf0248_low.jpg

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Ok thanks lol

My first aim in this task is to get the sika that currently might be 3mm or 4mm high at the moment down to 1mm

I believe once its down to 1mm its easy to heat and rub off with wax and grease

Anyways imagine a sort of guided blade that will shave down the glue to 1mm and never touching the paint work

Kind of the same way hair clippers work with 1mm 2mm guides

I have a blade tool which will try to stick a strip of foam under so it always sits 2mm above the surface, but im kind of thinking of like a wood plane tool that could do the job hey

Anyone know of similar shaving type tool that i could simply run over the glue and get it down to 1mm... because it would take minutes maximum to shave down one door

Am trying to avoid caramel wheel

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Wax and grease remover will only clean the sikaflex, not remove it. It must be removed by mechanical means (as stated by sikaflex themselves).

Caramel wheel is pretty well the only way. I’ve cut it down with a razor blade then used a caramel wheel before.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I've used a hairdryer and wax/grease remover to soften sikaflex then gently hit it with fishing wire to remove it.

I prefer to use a hair dryer over a heat gun as theres less chance of burning the paint. But you'd probably still want a caramel wheel to remove the final traces depending on how heavy the sikaflex was applied.

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Got this horizontal blade tool and put adhesive foam strip underneath so it sits above the paint work

It work but the foam strips breakaway quickly

20180801_092208-756x1008.jpg 20180801_092212-756x1008.jpg