Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Silicon Sealants - What One to Use?

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
Iv'e got a mate with a rough vp daily driver and it leaks water just about everywhere. He's a bit tight for cash so has decided to do a cheap repair by just using silicon on all the problem areas. I'd just like to know what is the best silicon to use for this as I remember reading somewhere a while ago that some are not suitable as they promote rust and corrosion. Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Use black windscreen sealant if they're small leaks as this will allow it to be removed with a solvent if it's going to be painted at any time in the future. Otherwise use a good quality silicone like "selleys roof and gutter sealant" but it will be a real pain in the ass to remove later.

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
Use black windscreen sealant if they're small leaks as this will allow it to be removed with a solvent if it's going to be painted at any time in the future. Otherwise use a good quality silicone like "selleys roof and gutter sealant" but it will be a real pain in the ass to remove later.

black windscreen sealant - urethane will not wash off with solvent, once its sealed its a good fight to remove it

as for selleys roof and gutter avoid that
you need to use a natural cure silicone as a acid based one such as the selleys will promote rust to grow

i know the effects of acid silicone as i tryed sealing my vl with it:bang:

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
yip never seal windows etc with selleys shell rust out fast as.

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
Ok thanks for the replies. If it needs to be a naturally curing silicon does that mean the ones that smell like vinegar are not suitable?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
sikaflex 225 or 227.

best stuff in the world. i use it for everything. even brushing my teeth. we used to use it on the filler neck restrictors (the part where you put the fuel hose to refuel) which were there to stop you using leaded fuel in an unleaded car.

once it cures its pretty much there for life. but bear in mind, "once it cures its pretty much there for life" cos its a bitch to get off if you ever need to.

i also used it to fill rust holes in my boot. works a treat. looks a bit like stoneguard. lol. full dodge style. plus i used it on my taillights to seal them. im hoping i never need to get them off.

joel448

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR LEXCEN/COMMODORE
yer definately sikaflex that stuff doesn't leak, strong, and wont wash away