Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Silicone Radiator Hoses.

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Howdy All,

It's been years since I have touched the radiator/heater hoses on my VP V6 and its overdue for some preventive maintenance in this regard.

I don't have any experience with silicone hoses except for use on vacuum lines.
Does anyone have any 1st hand stories/anecdotes of the silicone radiator hose kits that are floating around eBay, they seem a little too cheap for a whole kit, so I thought I would ask the collective knowledge on here.

What are things to look out for in silicone hoses?

Cheers
Eddie

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
I've used Silicone Radiator Hoses the last year or so,OK so far but modern 'rubber' Hoses such as Gates use compounds that lasts for years so not much point with Silicon other than to brighten up the Engine Bay with their colours.
I only used Silicon in the first place because they were so cheap,about $60 less 20% Ebay discount so i got the lot,Heater,Radiator etc for $48 delivered.

H

harrop.senator

Use them on most cars I re do the cooking system on just retighten them after the first heat cycle. Not had issues with them last ages and are cheap.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
How much is too cheap and does the kit contain all the radiator and heating hoses.
Don't know if the quality is any better and I'm thinking most only want them for the colours.
If the car is a show beast and little k's then why not but for super reliability I only go with the originals.

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
A bit of feedback, I bought this complete hose kit off Ebay (GPI brand), top hose need 25 mm cut off and could do with a bit more lobbed off, the bottom hose (see pic) was too short and required a 100 aluminium tube, the hose hidden under the alternator (see other pic) needed a trim as well.
These hoses constantly leak no matter how often I tighten the hose clamps (which were new at the time(t-bolts).
Anyhow I have now bought a complete set of Mackay hoses for the VP and now wait for them to arrive.

Attachments

• 20181217_161642 resized.jpg
    20181217_161642 resized.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 239
  • 20181217_102942 resized.jpg
    20181217_102942 resized.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 212

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Good feedback. I will definitely stick with rubber. Rubber is fairly cheap and lasts quite a long time. I saw a silicone hose kit with eBay rad. I might buy the rad but won't pay any extra now just to get blue hoses.
On another note I tried silicone wiper blades once. They were great at wiping the water but man did they squeak. I took them back and was fortunate to swap them because the SCA salesperson failed to tell me they would squeak. I was lucky because people apparently normally get warned.

H

harrop.senator

Never had an issue with silicone hoses o run the gpi km multiple cars including tracks cars. Over tightening doesn't help much with them. I've only ever had leak issues when the ally has started to corrode I smash it with a wire wheel and then put a little grease over them and do them up with a screwdriver and haven't had issues.

Wonder if just bad set or bad mould.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
I stick with Mackay or Gates, never let me down.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
I've been not buying a spare set of hoses for ages.
Thought the silicone looked fun for the price but might just not buy rubber.