Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

silly question?????maybe

BVL87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 5L
ok have 308/304 in my VL its a old motor but top end is new. ive had the back end up in the air(about 2 ft) for over a week as have installed a new petrol tank. now when i start the car i get a blueish smoke comin form it. NOW ITS ONLY ON START UP after that its gone. my question is could i have hooked up the breather lines wrong and instead of sending fumes from charcol canister back to the tank could it be sending them from there to the carbi and when i start it its blowing them out the rear end. or could the oil be sitting to high in front end from the rear being up in the air. now i know people are going to say its the rings but if it were wouldnt it be blowing smoke all the time????? the smoke dont smell like oil smoke and only has a blue tinge to it so dont think its the rings. i have also put on a 600vac sec holley which is running like **** with flat spots and am about to get that looked at while my gearbox gets rebuilt.

any info on what it could be would be greatly appreciated. just seems weird that its doin it on start up only (my x wife's apollo used to do it and the mechanic didnt know what did it either)

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
blue smoke on startup is normally a sign of valve stem seals leaking oil into the combustion chamber

BVL87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 5L
intresting.....not good but intresting was thinking of bigger cam and valve springs soon maybe its going to be sooner then i thought lol

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
If its only on startup I would be looking at valve stem seals first. Probably just a co-incidence that you've started noticing it now.

Cant see how the car being 2 feet up would make any difference, except maybe for the very first start after you took it down.

Fumes from charcoal canister should be fuel fumes ? and shouldn't cause it even if you are venting it into the carby. That's just an uneducated opinion though, (we didnt have much anti pollution when I used to work on cars lol .. I stopped working on engines when computers and injection came in).

BVL87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 5L
i keep a pretty good eye on my car and what noises it makes and smoke stuff like that. as i dont drive it often i usually check everything and look for differences when i do drive it and this only started the other day. thanks for clearing up the breather lines for me saves me taking the tank out again.(real bitch of a job) with the car being up could the oil be pooling somewhere high instead of going back to sump. its only done it twice now the first time after i dropped it down and yeaterday while it was still up in the air lol. as been havin dramas with petrol leaks at the sender unit since i played with the tank. damn it..........do i need to put gasket goo on the sender unit rubber gasket when i put it in or doesnt it need it????????

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
If its only happened twice, and both times after being elevated, then I guess that's a possibility after all. See if it happens again after you stop lifting it...

I wouldn't think you would need gasket goo on the sender, but I guess it couldn't hurt... make sure you use the right goo since its going to mix with petrol.

Don't know if I have cleared up the breather lines for you really, its a pretty uneducated guess on that score, you might want to seek a second opinion ;)

I do believe you will probably discover its the valve stem seals in the end though, its the classic symptom.

BVL87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 5L
seems we all saying valve stem seals so will put it down when ive finished the tank (hate being covered in fuel gives a good buzz though) i'll see how it goes

thanks for all input muchly appreciated

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
if your sender unit gasket is new and you cleaned the old one off you should not need goo, if you are reusing an old one then goo would be a good idea.
if there was some thing wrong with your cannister hook up I would suggest the smoke would be a black colour.
it is possible that the oil is at a high point and has slowly leaked into the cylinder over the time it has been raised, put it down and give it a good drive then park it overnight. if the smoke appears on the next startup then start looking at your valve stem seals.

BVL87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 5L
well the car has been up at back for over a week so maybe thats it. will try once i get it on the ground.............and the gasket i made from some rubber that is about 3 mil thick as it maybe hard to find a new one or a wait for a new one

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
Yea 2 foot I's fairly high. And considering your top end I's still fresh/ newish