Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Simmons fr1 22x9.5

rlnhrd276

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 5.0
I've searched through all previous posts and still no answer. Has anyone got 22x9.5 fr1s on vf ssv with small rear brakes? If so what offset. I don't want to use the offset that fit big brakes because I'll never change the rear brakes and want the rim further in so I can fit a larger tyre. I know it will ride like crap but i don't care, 22s look cool.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
The offset has nothing to do with a rim fitting over big brakes, it's the rim centre design that is crucial to fitting over and around calipers and of course rim diameter is important but you won't have a problem there is you are going 22 inch with stock brakes.

Offset determines if the rim fouls the inner or outer guard and suspension components.

rlnhrd276

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 5.0
The offset has nothing to do with a rim fitting over big brakes, it's the rim centre design that is crucial to fitting over and around calipers and of course rim diameter is important but you won't have a problem there is you are going 22 inch with stock brakes.

Offset determines if the rim fouls the inner or outer guard and suspension components.

I understand that but a caliper 5 inches wide would be half an inch closer to fouling the spokes than a 4 inch wide caliper for example. Also less offset will generally bring the spokes further away from the mounting hub on a 1 piece wheel hence further from rotor and more clearance from caliper? Speaking specifically about Simmons fr1, so my question is, is anyone using these wheels on this car and is yes what offset is working on this exact combination.

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
From what I understand the 22x9.5 fits big brakes on the rear and the 20x9.5 fits small standard brakes, hence the reason you never see hsv's with staggered fr1 20s, they are always 22s.

rlnhrd276

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 5.0
From what I understand the 22x9.5 fits big brakes on the rear and the 20x9.5 fits small standard brakes, hence the reason you never see hsv's with staggered fr1 20s, they are always 22s.
Yup, but I want 22s. My issue is that I want a really nice fitment and need input from people who have these wheels on vf ssv with hopes of seeing a picture of their fitment and asking their offset. I only bring brake clearance into it incase for instance 45 offset is the ideal but it fouls the face of big brakes on rear causing a redline/hsv owner to use a 40 offset to clear brakes and then have to camber the back out to avoid guard rub. Maybe I'm overthinking it. Just want the best fitment for my money.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I understand that but a caliper 5 inches wide would be half an inch closer to fouling the spokes than a 4 inch wide caliper for example. Also less offset will generally bring the spokes further away from the mounting hub on a 1 piece wheel hence further from rotor and more clearance from caliper? Speaking specifically about Simmons fr1, so my question is, is anyone using these wheels on this car and is yes what offset is working on this exact combination.

The hub where it meets the rim base plate stays the same regardless of the caliper thickness and it's from the hub that the offset measurement is initially determined and moving the outer rim in and out from the base plate centreline changes the offset.

You can make adjustments to the base plate by shaving it to bring the rim and the centre spokes in closer to the brake caliper or add a spacer to the hub to move the centre spokes out further from the caliper but doing adjustment this way to clear brakes then impacts on the position of the inner and outer rim where it may foul the body and suspension.

It's still going to come down to how those centre spokes are designed and that's why you don't see many rims designed for modern cars fitted with big brake with a deep dish rims, they have the spokes to the outer edge with very thick base plates or like the japs who have centres that start in close to the base plate then curve out and back in again to give some dish while clearing the caliper, that's the centre design at work not the offset.

In saying that most rim centres should fit small standard calipers

You are not going to find many owners here running 22 inch rims and the best way to get accurate info is to contact the retailer or manufacturer for the specs on the rim, all good suppliers have this available then get out a tape measure and check for yourself to see if you have clearance around the calipers then make sure you know what tyre size you are intending to use and measure up where it will be in relation to your inner and outer guards.

Like it or not you are asking a question where the people supplying the product are the best people to seek your answers from and the more critical it is for you to get a close fitment to get the best look possible the more you need those specs.

rlnhrd276

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 5.0
The hub where it meets the rim base plate stays the same regardless of the caliper thickness and it's from the hub that the offset measurement is initially determined and moving the outer rim in and out from the base plate centreline changes the offset.

You can make adjustments to the base plate by shaving it to bring the rim and the centre spokes in closer to the brake caliper or add a spacer to the hub to move the centre spokes out further from the caliper but doing adjustment this way to clear brakes then impacts on the position of the inner and outer rim where it may foul the body and suspension.

It's still going to come down to how those centre spokes are designed and that's why you don't see many rims designed for modern cars fitted with big brake with a deep dish rims, they have the spokes to the outer edge with very thick base plates or like the japs who have centres that start in close to the base plate then curve out and back in again to give some dish while clearing the caliper, that's the centre design at work not the offset.

In saying that most rim centres should fit small standard calipers

You are not going to find many owners here running 22 inch rims and the best way to get accurate info is to contact the retailer or manufacturer for the specs on the rim, all good suppliers have this available then get out a tape measure and check for yourself to see if you have clearance around the calipers then make sure you know what tyre size you are intending to use and measure up where it will be in relation to your inner and outer guards.

Like it or not you are asking a question where the people supplying the product are the best people to seek your answers from and the more critical it is for you to get a close fitment to get the best look possible the more you need those specs.

From what I understand Simmons fr1s have the offset altered the way you have described. They come off the press with a small offset and are machined down on the mounting flange to order. I get what you're saying but that is not there information I have from the manufacturer. Regardless, this is irrelevant. I have had very little luck dealing with the suppliers and no one in my country has any in stock for a test fit. I have been told 40p 49p and 50p by the 3 shops I have contacted all of them say they are the experts but none of them will exchange them if they aren't right hence my dilemma. I imagine it would be very simple if I lived in Australia but I don't. Thanks for your input.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
You should be able to email Tempe Tyres in Tempe (Sydney) (they own the Simmons brand now) and specifically ask whether the size you want to fit will fit, and what offset is recommended ... ?

rlnhrd276

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 5.0
You should be able to email Tempe Tyres in Tempe (Sydney) (they own the Simmons brand now) and specifically ask whether the size you want to fit will fit, and what offset is recommended ... ?
Thanks, I have already spoken to them. Just trying to gather as much input as I can.