Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Simmons Wheels

bigdealbaby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
G'day,

Hope this is the right section, I'm thinking of getting some new rims shortly for my ute which is a black 05 vz ssz.

My question is to people with simmons wheels, how difficult are they to keep clean?

I am a fan of them just unsure on maintenance with the many facets and most importantly rivets and becoming scummy over time.

Currently tossing up between simmons fr-1 in hyper dark or something more one piece like vertini fr1.1.

Threw in some photos for shits and gigs!

Cheers in advance.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I have white V5's so they are the text book definition of hard to keep clean.

I'm using Bowdens Wheely Clean at the moment that you spray on and hose off, seems to remove most of the brake dust providing you don't let it go long enough to cake on.

Both of those wheels look to have reasonably accessible spokes so I'd say they would be a piece of piss to keep clean.

I personally love the look of the FR1's on newer commodores, they are a great wheel.

Last edited:

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Are you using garden hose or pressure cleaner.

Sometimes if I'm doing a quick clean I'll just use the garden hose which works ok, otherwise I'll use the gerni.

The main thing is not to leave brake dust on long enough to cake dust onto the wheels, otherwise it won't lift easily. I tend to wash mine every 3-4 weeks but I only drive it maybe 200km during that time, comes off without scrubbing.

My Focus however I gave that things wheels a clean for the first time since new (over 12 months) and I needed to use the Wheely Clean + a microfibre to lift the dust.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I wash mine weekly using a microfibre mit.

While the pentagons aren't too bad in terms of getting access to most of the wheel including the barrell, the brembos make it difficult getting all of it so wheel cleaner looks like a much easier method.

bigdealbaby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
Thanks for the replies gents.

Like I said my main concern was the rivets and details on the face being tricky to clean around but I just googled your rims and they are far more intricate than either of the ones I posted so I should be sweet.

Cheers.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I get annoyed on brake dust making the inside of rim dark.
About once a year I take my wheels off to clean and get it looking good all through.

For reference: 5-spoke hsv senator wheels striped and recoated.