Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Simple exhaust question (first post)

jonesy23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
hey guys, first time poster here, and was hoping for help with a simple question.

i have just bout a 99 VT S series 2 and it just had a standard exhaust on it so i went to an exhaust store and asked the bloke what the simpliest/cheapeast way to make it sound a bit better so that i can at least hear the engine a bit.
so anyway he said he would take out the centre muffler, which he has done but it hasnt made a hell of a lot of difference.

so i am just asking what is the next best thing i could do without having to get extractors and such?

will simply fitting a sports muffler to the rear do the trick?

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
the cheapest way to get some better sound from it is do what i did.
remove the rear exhaust piece which include rear muffler and tailpipe.
then run standard (i ran stainless) bit of pipe from the centre muffler to the rear and put a tip. cost me $110.

i am going to do extractors and exhaust soon coz i am putting on some go fast bits but it sounds good with the minor exhaust mod.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Yeah a 2.5 inch catback will cost you $300-400.. Best thing you can do..

Your fuel economy will improve, your car will sound tough.. Good ****..

jonesy23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
ok thanks for all that.

i havent checked it out yet, but does anyone know what diameter pipe they have standard running in it.
because as i said at the start the centre muffler has already been removed, and i was curious if i could get an ok sound by just replaccing the rear muffler rather than having to run 2 1/2 all the wa through.
i dont need it too loud. just want it a bit heavier than it is atm.

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
the standard exhaust diameter on a VT V6 is 2 1/4. :thumbsup:
to be honest put back your centre muffler and take out your rear and replace it with a pipe running from centre muffler to the end......it makes a really nice note....you will be happy with it....trust me it kept me happy for nearly 2 years but now that am out of uni and cashed up time to spend some money on making it faster
its easy to get out....one U bolt round the pipe near the centre muffler and 2 pins at the back near the tailpipe and it comes off as one piece.

Shounack - i'd like to see how your cat back exhaust system gets you better feul economy......if that does when you put extractors on it, it will drink fuel like a 4cylinder :rofl:

jonesy23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
yeah thanks i might have to look into that. i wish the bloke at the exhaust place suggested that rather than trying to con me out of some money.
maybe i should have done this before hand though.
oh well $60 wasted on ripping it out now i guess it will be another $120 to put it back in and take out the rear

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
DeanoVT said:
the standard exhaust diameter on a VT V6 is 2 1/4. :thumbsup:
to be honest put back your centre muffler and take out your rear and replace it with a pipe running from centre muffler to the end......it makes a really nice note....you will be happy with it....trust me it kept me happy for nearly 2 years but now that am out of uni and cashed up time to spend some money on making it faster
its easy to get out....one U bolt round the pipe near the centre muffler and 2 pins at the back near the tailpipe and it comes off as one piece.

Shounack - i'd like to see how your cat back exhaust system gets you better feul economy......if that does when you put extractors on it, it will drink fuel like a 4cylinder :rofl:
I'll tell you how it gives me better fuel economy. My car now seems to kick into higher gears faster, with the revs coming down a lot. I noticed this just on the way home from the zorst place..

I'm getting an extra 50km from a tank of LPG now. It's brilliant..

And photo's have been taken, I'll post up soon..