Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Simple exhaust question (first post)

WinterVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
I'll keep an eye out for em Shounak, Im looking to get my z0rst done
quite soon, dont know if I want to go dual tip or single yet....

jonesy23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
lol just went back down to the exhaust place and had a talk with the guy and now he is going to put the centre muffler back in and take out the rear for free and only charge me $70 to put a $60 tip on.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
WinterVX said:
I'll keep an eye out for em Shounak, Im looking to get my z0rst done
quite soon, dont know if I want to go dual tip or single yet....
S'about time..

P1000037.jpg

diontanti

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
Shounak said:
Yeah a 2.5 inch catback will cost you $300-400.. Best thing you can do..

Your fuel economy will improve, your car will sound tough.. Good ****..
when you say a 2.5 cat back what does that mean cos i too want to make mine sound a bit better, thanks

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
2.5 catback means that ur installing the system from your cat (catalytic converter) onward to the exhaust tip. Thus cat back.
2.5 is talking about the size of the piping used in inchs.
When ur getting a cat back the other thing u wanna think about and it has been discussed in this thread is whether u get a rear resonator or go with a straight through setup.
Removing the rear resonator will make the exhaust sound louder.
Other then that, removing the resonator all together i think is illegal by epa emission standards but thats not really stopped anyone before...

Here are some links about exhaust stuff for beginners:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/muffler.htm
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/catalytic-converter.htm

Hope that helps

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Shounak said:
I'll tell you how it gives me better fuel economy. My car now seems to kick into higher gears faster, with the revs coming down a lot. I noticed this just on the way home from the zorst place..

I'm getting an extra 50km from a tank of LPG now. It's brilliant..

And photo's have been taken, I'll post up soon..

lol how can the revs come down? You didnt change diff gears etc, so revs shouldnt have adjusted at all.

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
dont try minux its a lost cause...i already tried to tell him it wasnt possible but he just wont listen

ProphetVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Pushie
A better flowing exhaust does increase fuel economy, but not by lowering revs, thats impossible. What it does do is allow you to get power more efficiently due to freer air flow, which means your car doesn't run as rich, thus using less fuel. However the cost of a new exhaust setup compared to the drop in fuel costs doesn't warrant replacement. Your cars fuel economy might drop down 1L per 100km at best.

No more explanation needed than that.

Last edited:

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
ProphetVX said:
A better flowing exhaust does increase fuel economy, but not by lowering revs, thats impossible. What it does do is allow you to get power more efficiently due to freer air flow, which means your car doesn't run as rich, thus using less fuel. However the cost of a new exhaust setup compared to the drop in fuel costs doesn't warrant replacement. Your cars fuel economy might drop down 1L per 100km at best.

:thumbsup:

bassmansimon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S 5 speed
ProphetVX said:

wow - a drop of 1L per 100km sounds a lot to me. that could mean that it is worth it (based on finances alone).

if we go about 50,000km in 2 yrs, then petrol is over $7600 for 2 yrs (@ $1.45 a litre, and 10.5L per 100km), but with a reduction of 1L per 100km, the price drops to a bit less than $6900. a reduction of petrol costs to the tune of $700 over 2 years sounds worth it to me if you're willing to keep your car.

of course... this is all assuming that you can get a 1L reduction... which i doubt.