Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Simple exhaust question (first post)

bassmansimon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S 5 speed
man i sounds like a nerd.

ProphetVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Pushie
bassmansimon said:
man i sounds like a nerd.
Haha you're not wrong there.

As I said, its "at best", for the cost of a decent exhaust setup you're looking at $350-400.

You're right though, if you plan on keeping your car for a few years it could be worth it. So could a third party ECU, extractors, CAI, different gear ratios, different diff ratios, larger wheels, hooking your car up with LPG.

There are heaps of things that can save you fuel, and in the end you have to decide whether or not the upfront cost warrants the savings in the future.

I have a non-standard exhaust setup, but I did it for the sound and extra power gains, not fuel.

You could also just drive your car like a granny.

bassmansimon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S 5 speed
ProphetVX said:
You could also just drive your car like a granny.

yep i agree... how much fun to never go above 2000rpm, and never taking it out in the rain, and never driving it, well... the way an australian car was made to be driven. :driving:

in the end i think it all comes down to personal preference. and let's be honest - if the only thing we cared about was fuel economy, you're driving the wrong car. need to go out and get a corolla or the like :rice:

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
bassmansimon said:
and let's be honest - if the only thing we cared about was fuel economy, you're driving the wrong car. need to go out and get a corolla or the like :rice:

lol damn right, you should she the parents yaris OMG that thing never eats fuel 900km's to a tank.

TheKMan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Jesterarts said:
Removing the rear resonator will make the exhaust sound louder.
Other then that, removing the resonator all together i think is illegal by epa emission standards but thats not really stopped anyone before...

I thought removing the rear ressie was legal so long as it still met the noise level standards? I think the epa emission standards mainly apply to the cat?

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
Actually a good exhaust (doesnt have to be exy), catback or full aftermarket will decrease fuel usage. I recently picked up a 2.5" mandrel bent straight through muff & resy for a little over $250. Now just gotta get the time to install it..There's also a set of HM headers I wouldnt mind for $150 (second hand of course)

Most people dont experience better economy because they drive harder when they hear the new sound their car makes. This fuel additive I'm using- gives up to 20% more economy, BUT as it gives more power too, everyone enjoys the extra pep too much to drive ecenomically. Same statements made on Pacemaker's website

Its all about scavenging efficiencies

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
bassmansimon said:
yep i agree... how much fun to never go above 2000rpm, and never taking it out in the rain, and never driving it, well... the way an australian car was made to be driven. :driving:

in the end i think it all comes down to personal preference. and let's be honest - if the only thing we cared about was fuel economy, you're driving the wrong car. need to go out and get a corolla or the like :rice:
your spot on there. :thumbsup:
ppl really annoy me that buy commos and big cars then whinge about fuel prices and feul economy of a car....if you want that get a sh*tty little excel or some other milk carton on wheels and drive that.
or when ppl intentionally go to a shop to spend $30 on stuff they dont need and drive ages away to save $2 off a 70L tank. :bang:

those of us that are passionate about cars and in particular the commos dont mind paying the money because its what we like.
ppl think i am silly going from VT V6 to a HSV GENIII but i love em and am happy to pay for the extra fuel. :yeah:
pick up on saturday couldnt come any faster

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
some of us need a larger car for whatever reason. There's nothing wrong with trying to chase a bit of economy. I put up with a small shitbox for a lotta years and never got my 8 because I could never afford it. I'm passionate but cant afford my big block XB hardtop right now. So dont hang **** on people if they wanna save a coupla bucks

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
if people do there shopping and use that discount thats fine....but to go and grab something to get the discount coz you need the feul then thats silly....if ppl want to save a couple of dollars here and there then thats fine.

but dont spend thousands of dollars on exhaust, extractors, CAI, etc and then say i did it to get save that $1/L in fuel economy...

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
bradcad said:
some of us need a larger car for whatever reason. There's nothing wrong with trying to chase a bit of economy. I put up with a small shitbox for a lotta years and never got my 8 because I could never afford it. I'm passionate but cant afford my big block XB hardtop right now. So dont hang **** on people if they wanna save a coupla bucks

depends on how much you like your cars, my car always comes first and if it means no ciggies or rums because i got no fuel then so be it, i struggle but im happy.