Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Simple exhaust question (first post)

Ripcell

R8 FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
324rwkw MY06 VZ R8 Maloo M6
i just last monday got a 2.5" catback, custom made by midas, 1 muffler in the middle and then a 2 piece tailpipe. sounds awesome, nice note and only loud when you punch it. which is good cos it doesnt drone through the car when u r just cruisin.

shop round but 2.5" is the way to go

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
That's cool. But it's still something than people sometimes have to do- like when they have commitments. You are right about one thing though- spending money upfront on something that is going to give slight saving- you have to be careful. And 4c per litre aint worth ****

However, like in some of my other posts- the fuel additive I'm using helps and is just a bonus really. If I save $20 a week on fuel- that's another $20 I can spend on the car.......

...or the wife....

A

andy87

2 1/2 Catback System

hodgy said:
take a drill and start drilling holes in it that would be the cheapest way haha, nah like cheeza5 said just get a 2 1/2 cat back system will cost ya round 500 maby cheaper
I bought a 2 1/2 cat back system!
I am not very happy on it I even put extractors on and it sounds like a whipper snipper...
I have been told now that I am going to have to go to a 3 INCH cat back system doubt it will make much difference... Cost me 750 Mark
Although when i got my 2 1/2 I left the standard muffler that connects to the extractors in place

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
andy87 said:
I am not very happy on it I even put extractors on and it sounds like a whipper snipper...
I have been told now that I am going to have to go to a 3 INCH cat back system doubt it will make much difference... Cost me 750 Mark
Although when i got my 2 1/2 I left the standard muffler that connects to the extractors in place

std muffler is designed to cut noise. Look at the Lukey tri-flow muffler for the (apparently) best note, or a straight through. What about the resonator- is that stock too?

ProphetVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Pushie
andy87 said:
Thats your problem...

standard muffler is 2 1/4 inches and designed to adhere to new car sound standards. The standard muffler cuts out a ridiculous amount of sound compared to freer flowing third party mufflers.

You can get a lukey muffler for $150 or so, and get it fitted for a few more dollars on top that.

The improvement in throttle response and sound levels should be pretty substantial. The standard muffler is very restrictive.

A

andy87

My exhaust

ProphetVX said:
Thats your problem...

standard muffler is 2 1/4 inches and designed to adhere to new car sound standards. The standard muffler cuts out a ridiculous amount of sound compared to freer flowing third party mufflers.

You can get a lukey muffler for $150 or so, and get it fitted for a few more dollars on top that.

The improvement in throttle response and sound levels should be pretty substantial. The standard muffler is very restrictive.

Well mine is standard v6 it starts off with a good sound then finish out like a whipper snipper if i really give it some gas!

Yeah I just got the 2 1/2 Catback and got my mate to put in extractors for me (that was an effort took over twelve hours and nearly made things worse)
yeah just by where the extractors run to theres a little muffler there and i was wondering what was going on and i think i was offered a catback muffler hi-flo i think for $120 is lukey a better one you think?

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
The hiflow muffler could be any brand. Chances are it's a straight through 2.5" muffler which will help immensely. Lukey is a good brand, but I believe most to be fine really. There is a thread on Street Commodorees about exhausts which is very informative and worth a look. It explains there are 3 basic types of mufflers. Straight through offers greatest performance gains, while people believe the lukey triflow (turbo style mandrel bent muffler which reverses the gas flow several times like your original) or the dogleg (has a straight through, but the internal pipe has a slight kink) produce a nicer note.

Now about your resonator (long round muffler at the rear of the exhaust) is there one there, if so is it original? If there is not one there, I would consider it an idea to have one fitted if the sound is 'droney'. If it is original, I would consider changing it to an aftermarket 2.5" version.

The 'muffler' thing behind the extractors sounds like it is the cat (catalytic converter) which is fitted for environmental reasons. I prefer not to alter these, as the original (if in good condition) dont restrict flow much at all, and actually help the environment a great deal. One in poor condition will block exhaust gases causing loss of power, and increase fuel usage.

mirlin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Berlina II
Hey ripcell, which store and how much it set ya back? i'm lookin at gettin the zorst done in the next few weeks and i only want the noticable notes up higher in the rev range coz i do a lot of highway driving. A droning exhaust on a 2 hour cruizin speed trip aint my idea of "cool."

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
No a hot dog won't damage your motor... the caoon might damage your creditability though...

Just a quick FYI... a cannon is a resonator that is basically exactly the same as a hot dog...

So it will be basically like having 2 cannons... :bang:

Chances are its gonna be really drone and farty...