Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Since Holden Can't Do it I tried something Different.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Well after the disastrous event of trying to update our VF 2015 SV6 storm Sat Nat to have the POI for schools and Red Light Speed and Cameras updated and after I found out and TESTED my neighbours Brand new Feb built 2017 VF on one of our NEW Combination Speed and Redlight Cameras in our AREA (FAILED TO SEE IT THERE) I decide to find another way of help me to remember things after my Stroke.
Yes My Neighbour new 2017 Calais did not see or report on the Red Light and Speed camera whist I was with him on the passengers seat and after this and now to be told that not only Holden Maps are stale for 2 years also there PIO's including Schools , Red Light, Red light and Speed camera (Combination) and speed cameras as just as stale as what the maps are.
So what I did I done some Homework and tried to find the best after Market Sat Nav you can have and this is the Garmin 61 LMT-S. Well they have everything I need, It warn me on Schools as we have plenty around our drivings (7 Off them) And Combination Speed and red light Cameras (Not a Complete list but it had out 2 close cameras). But you have Choice of either subscribing to Cyclops for a FULL Australia Wide Speed Red Light and Combination camera for $39 or get it from (Not saying) on other means Cough cough Cough.

Now For the Map update. I had 3 off them in 2 weeks NOT 2 years + like Holden, The Redlight/speed Combination cameras if you pay you gen them in the first week the cameras gets commissioned via an update and the other way its once I'm notified It take me 2 Minutes to add them on my excel on my computer and add or delete them and sent them to the Sat Nav.
By the way The Garmin when ever you come home and pull under the garage it checks via Wi Fi to see if you have any updates or you can do this in the morning.
The Best thing I like about this I have on my Computer Two Programs I have Garmin Express and POI Loader and with these two I can access the Garmin and do everything I need to do.

Only yesterday on the Front Page (Caboolture News) one of our local schools are having a Shi.t fight about the cars travailing along Oakey Flats road (main Road at 80 KPH))at at school time its 60 KPH yes 60 kph as its normally 80 kph and they want to change it to 40 KPH so you will have to go from 80 to 40 in a long part of the road possible over 600 M and that is way to long for 40 KPH. Now if this happens and I say they will win the Schools zone speeds for that schools will change fro 60 to 40 KPH and possible over 600M.
Now when this happens I will contact Garmin or I will do the changes myself from 60 to 40 for that school ONLY and give the proximity distance by clicking on the map and change by using there wonderful tool Garmin Express and find the School on the Australia wide map and create a Custom POI For that Schools.
Aside this there noting that can do what I want to have the most accurate maps and POI's
Yes I know people will say I don't want to have Sat Nav off the windscreen but does someone know of a current car that allow you to do this in under one hour

The Below photo is take from the back seat looking at the VF Sat nav telling me that its 50 KPH when it normally 40 on the school Zone KPH. Look at my after market HUD. The best thing I have done for this VF as its know wired with the Sat nav. By the way where are the wires going? It took me hours to hide the Sat Nav and wire it in.
It will stay like this intill a Manufacture come up with a car that you can get current maps update by yourself and add or edit your POI's in a jiffy.

Last edited:

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Speed alert GPS has saved me many times, but a bit annoying the lifetime maps are always outdated.
The speed zones have to be up to date or the system is useless.

My Garmin doesn't allow me to update individual zones or edit incorrect entries.

I have to remember NOT to rely on it 100% so I still keep an eye out.

In Queensland they don't have enough speed signs so it is easy to be caught out. They like it that way.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Speed alert GPS has saved me many times, but a bit annoying the lifetime maps are always outdated.
The speed zones have to be up to date or the system is useless.

My Garmin doesn't allow me to update individual zones or edit incorrect entries.

Well with this one I can Change just about anything but not all. I have the Copy of everything on my Computer. If A camera Disappear I delete the folder on the Garmin itself whilst the Garmin is on the computer and I replace it with the Same Folder with the Camera deleted. If the Speed zones like what happening at our School where its 60 during 7 to 9 am and 2 to 4 pm and changes to 40 Gamin should fix this but at the same time you can do it . Well put it this way maybe the hack version is better. Now I better not talk about this. Yes you should be able to edit remove or Alter a Zone in your area on your GPS. The Biggest problem is removing the Original Files that are wrong not the 1500 odd Added POI's that relate to Red/Combination speed and Speed cameras in your position. Its easy to add a new School I did this last week and works Perfectly I only made one mistake and that is its 24 hours proximity activated. I need to learn how to add the times in the morning and arvo that I want it to alarm me correctly.
Still learning how to use the computer program and other

Hyperduc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline Wagon
Driving in my area I like no sound just follow the purple line.

Leave the radio for music.

Good work!

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well today I'm driving to a New Estate and see how fresh these maps are. I expect that streets can be up to 6 to 12 Months old before they update.
When It comes to the Cyclops ($39 per year for one device) Version On Speed Cameras, Red Light Cameras, The combo of, they are accurate and get update or removed quickly. After all you are paying yearly for this and so they should be accurate.