Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

single 3inch or twin 2.5inch??

stateo 304

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vs serries111 statesman 5.0
my mate is looking at getting an axhaust for his vs 5.0 with irs

whats best single 3inch or twin 2.5

ive done a bit of stuff with water pipes(not sure if its the same with exhausts) and what ive came up with is twin 2.5 does not equal a single 5inch
a single 5inch would flow heaps more than 2 2.5inch pipes

so if that thery is the same with exhausts 3" should flow more
but will it give as good a sound?

can anyone help cheers

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
ive got a twin 2 1/2 inch stainless system on my 5 litre ute. sounds good i rekon.
but having a twin 2 1/2 inch wont be as loud as having a single 3 inch.
every single 3 inch ive heard is loud, sounds deep at idle and has a very deep note when you accelerate.
mine sounds alot smoother and quieter at idle, when i take off i rekon it sounds more like a gen 3 with a system than a 5 litre.
it doesnt feel like its lost or gained any more power over my single system i used to have. need to get it on a dyno for true power differences tho

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
hey i was wonderin how much it would change the note for my project car i am going with the single 3in but am unsure if i should use a twin cat into single pipe system or use a single cat system? any ideas on what advatages/disadvantages would be with the two... cheers guys

NOGEN 3

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've got a 3" mandrel Lukey system on my 5litre but the engines done 370xxx k's so hard to say. From memory power up was noticable but won't know 4 sure 'till I actuall have some compression. Sounds good atm tho' deep and meaningful.
What ever blows your skirt up tho', they're both good(and I've heard the twin 2 1/2 with an x merge, flows better?....

Vn_666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Berlina 3.8 Auto
what bout a 3 inch on a v6 auto vn,or a 2 1/2 twin make better noice

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
ffs stop spelling noise as noice. This is atleast the 3rd time and it really annoys me.

Twin 2.5 inch is massive, much too large for a mild V6.

A twin 2.25 inch will flow more than a single 3 inch.. just.. A V8 can get away with a twin 2.5 inch but it would need to be decently modified. Its oversized for a stock 5L

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
ffs stop spelling noise as noice. This is atleast the 3rd time and it really annoys me.

Twin 2.5 inch is massive, much too large for a mild V6.

A twin 2.25 inch will flow more than a single 3 inch.. just.. A V8 can get away with a twin 2.5 inch but it would need to be decently modified. Its oversized for a stock 5L
The reason most people go with the twin 2.5" on a 5.0lt is that a single 2.5" is like on the borderline. A single 2.5" maxes out at around 150rwkw (which is basically a stocka) where as the twin 2.5" will support up to 300rwkw.
stateo 304 said:
my mate is looking at getting an axhaust for his vs 5.0 with irs

whats best single 3inch or twin 2.5

ive done a bit of stuff with water pipes(not sure if its the same with exhausts) and what ive came up with is twin 2.5 does not equal a single 5inch
a single 5inch would flow heaps more than 2 2.5inch pipes

so if that thery is the same with exhausts 3" should flow more
but will it give as good a sound?

can anyone help cheers
Go the twin 2.5" mate. First of all it flows more then the single 3", an area of 63cm2 vs 45cm2.
Also you will have trouble with clearances with a 3" pipe on an IRS car.
AirStrike :air:

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
I've always liked the sound of twin systems rather than singles... Single systems can droan like a dige at times.

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
what about my question? whether it ends up a single or a twin system what is better? single cat or twin cats extractor setup?