Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Single DIN Headunits

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Doing some researching, wanting to replace the Headunit in the VS (put a Pioneer single DIN in about 10-12 years ago)
Came across an old discontinued style Kenwood KDC-X7100DAB that would fit the bill perfectly, but obviously is no longer available.

Trying to find something with Rear USBs instead of a single front as I prefer to keep everything in the glovebox out of sight.
Or at a minimum a single rear USB and if it also has a front then cool.
Phone connectivity for calls (The reason for upgrading)
DAB Radio is a desirable not a must have.

One i had found was a Pioneer DEH-X7850BT
Only downside no DAB

Curious to know anyones experiences lately with finding a single DIN unit, with the above or any recommendations where to go.
Flip Single Dins will be no good, due to the bench seat dash having a big of coverage, so unless the headunit comes forwards 20mm that option is out of the question unfortunately.

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
Hi @Drawnnite not sure if this is of any help but i was looking for something for my VS Ute and came across a guy on FB that 3D prints the bezel that goes around the radio. The radio recommended was the Sony XAV AV 1000 which has a large screen 6.2" i think, with a single din back. The advantage is you don't have to cut in to the heat box to fit it.

s-l1600.jpg

91501966_10158307391044310_2504403380282064896_n.jpg

91193769_10158307390839310_406254423883382784_n.jpg

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I had an Alpine CDE-205DAB unit installed in my wife's VS Clubsport last year. Great unit.

Attachments

• Alpine CDE-205DAB - Specifications.pdf
    391.7 KB · Views: 174

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Thanks for that guys.

Ill have to have a suss out of the Alpine ones and see what else is out there.
Reason for the rear USB is to hide the cables into the glovebox, keeping nothing on display.
Honestly phone wise it would be bluetoothed.

Like the looks of those Phil, but as youll see below, slight dilemma.
Being the Bench seat VS the dash lay out is ever so slightly different to a normal dash lay out, ie the heater controls are horizontal and not vertical.
Found an old photo which shows how it is set out, might make some more sense.
Might be able to see about the no flip up problem and if it goes down the issue is smashing the hand into it when changing gears or wanting to use my cupholders.
544.jpg

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
i just google kenwood kdc x7100dab seems some companys still have them, here one based in melbourne
https://hektikgroup.com.au/kdc-x7100dab/#

Been meaning to respond to this for a few weeks now (been slack)
Yeah came across them, and honestly if i wasnt lazy could just go past their workshop to check if they have stock still (or call I guess)
Had found a few other places which show as though its stock but they dont have any (all say obsolete or out of stock etc) so I kind of assumed this would be a similar case here, thus trying to find one similar.

Will keep having a bit of a look out. Might be a later in the year purchase.
But also the past few months have noticed i havent really needed to worry about calls, so might not worry unless the right things come up.
May end up leaning towards something like one of these Pioneer DEH-X7850BT as if the only downside is no DAB then so be it.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
I have the older model (same model no) of the one your looking at. 6 rca outputs, bt is fantastic, but didn't mention it as you said no DAB.

Can't fault it.