Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Single knocking sound when I push on brakes

Rixy26

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 3.8L V6 VR Berlina
Hi everyone, first time posting on here, I own a '94 VR Berlina, I took my car out for a test drive with a permit as it is still unregistered, I noticed a single knocking sound coming from the front end when I push on the brakes and the steering wheel shutters also as I'm pushing the brakes, I took the wheel off to have a look at what it might be, the brake pads are fine and intact and the discs are okay, then I noticed the sway bar and link pins are flush with each other, it seems as though the drivers side link pins bushes for the sway bar aren't flush, could this be the possible cause for the knocking and shattering, the car goes in for a Roady worthy on Tuesday this week

Rixy26

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 3.8L V6 VR Berlina
1486296060779.jpg
1486295803724.jpg
This is the sway bar with the link pins on the drivers side I can fit my finger in the gap, is this caused by the sway bar being bent which might need to be replaced or is it the link pins with the bushes that need to be replaced

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
looking at the pics Id say all the bush are flogged out...also looks like you may have the original front shocks...
With the car jacked up and road wheel on grab the wheel at the 3 oclock and 9 oclock push in on one hand and pull on the other, any movement will prob be tie rod ends...then try and move the wheel forward and back if any movement will prob be Z bar ect bushes..Then repeat at the 12 oclock and 6oclock possie this may show up any movement in the ball joints upper lower arm bushes ect ...If you cant do the replacements yourself and need to have it done at a shop its gunna cost about 2+K, you can brake it down over time to spread out the cost...Have a look ere http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/how-to-replace-the-front-struts.173100/ some of the pics are missing but gives you a genral idea on the basics

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
As Wozza says, the top bush in the picture looks like it has perished. If the upper bushes where the link pins fit to the struts are in good condition, you might be able to get away with just replacing the sway bar pair of link pin bushes. Note that you need to remove the nuts from both sides of the sway bar to replace the bushes so you may as well replace the bushes on both sides. Once you have replaced the upper sway bar bushes, you need to lift the sway bar upwards and insert both link pins into the sway bar holes together (a bit tricky), then while continuing to hold the sway bar upwards, insert the bush, washer and nut on each side. Easier if you have the help of another person, but I have done it many times on my own.

Last edited:

Rixy26

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 3.8L V6 VR Berlina
Thanks guys, I took it for a road worthy and have a few other things that need to be done, but in relation to the bushes, these will be done this weekend, thank you very much for your help, it's been greatly appreciated!