Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

single turbo v6

89vncommy

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VN Caladore
I am going to think about the turbo path ... If I were to go a single large turbo, what do you think would be the best for my vn... I have a Garett GT30 in my other car, but that is only a 4cly engine....

I don't want to go out and spend a motsa, just a good set up to generate more power.. I want to go for the sleeper look, so if my fiance drives the car, the cops won't book her for only being on her p's ... (when she finally gets em)

ashzv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN v6 s2 Berlina 5spd
ive also been thinking about twin turbos.
have a small turbo running off each bank.

i am still unsure what would be easier.

89vncommy

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VN Caladore
I think you would get better performance out of a single turbo ... And is cheaper ...

I have had friends of friends that have bought Supra tt's and taken out the twins and gone for a single large turbo... They rave about how the single is much better ...

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
as i said b4 talk 2 BLOWN VS he took his setup out 2 wks ago, he would have pics and at the HCC dyno day he pulled 198rwkw at 8psi of boost if i remember correct

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Another thing thats been left out is the oil lines to the turbo. You could get the pickup from the oil pressure switch but the dump would have to go back to the sump or something, requiring removal of the sump and welding a fitting on.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
You dont need to remove the sump, but! you will get a metal filing or two inside the sump, hopefully you can flush them all out, if not that's what oil filters are for :)

I was reading a page in the states once and they just drilled a hol ein the sump above the oil line, then put a thread tap in it with stick grease on it to catch the metal flakes then flushed the sump out. Maybe safer to drill a hole, then weld a nut on the ouside of the hole and put the line into the nut

colmiller

Reaction score
That all sounds and look real ugly.

The big thing in California these days are "remote turbos". Believe it or not they stick them at the end of the exhaust pipe towards the back of the car. Their primary motivations appear to be polution control and keeping the car looking & sounding standard to the casual nosey policeman (sounds like a familiar problem).

Take a look at
http://www.superchevy.com/technical/engines_drivetrain/induction_poweradders/0411sc_sts/

or do a google on "remote turbos" it may surprise you.

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
i would go single.i have had my manifolds for two bloody years and i want to turbo my car before xmas.. i have nearly everything i need.. i bought my manifolds off geoff whyte. who has a 10 second vn wagon. i was reading a bit about him in street machine.. i am pretty sure he knows his ****.. he said he was making 560 hp or something like that off a single turbo with an internal wastegate.
all he did when he used my manifolds was ran a 7th injector and he drove around for 12 months and did no damage running 12 psi..
i just read that page on remote turbo's that is pretty interesting
also you can run the oil back through the timing case so geoff told me..

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
That all sounds and look real ugly.

The big thing in California these days are "remote turbos". Believe it or not they stick them at the end of the exhaust pipe towards the back of the car. Their primary motivations appear to be polution control and keeping the car looking & sounding standard to the casual nosey policeman (sounds like a familiar problem).

Take a look at
http://www.superchevy.com/technical/engines_drivetrain/induction_poweradders/0411sc_sts/

or do a google on "remote turbos" it may surprise you.

I wouldnt want to run that system on a lowered car on aussie roads.:eek:

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
yeah i don't think it would last too long
well not very long at all around here..
it wouldn't last a week on my car. but still the idea seems interesting