Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sizes of stock VT speakers?

SS202

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6
Forgive me if this is covered in another thread already, I had a quick look and couldn't see the info I need.
I've recently bought my second Commodore (VT Wagon), and I'm looking at upgrading the stereo.
Apart from the head unit I'd like to keep it all looking pretty stock, so upgraded speakers will be going in the factory locations.
So, basically I need to know what size the original speakers are and where their locations are. I assume they're only in the doors, but I thought I'd ask anyhow.
Is there anywhere to fit some 6x9's without modifications (very slim chance, i know). If not, is there anywhere to fit a sub without modifications?
Also, are there any nooks or compartments or anything where an amp would fit that's out of sight?
What do the audio mobs usually do to fill in the gaping hole that's left by replacing the huge head unit with the typically normal size one?
I haven't taken the car off the lot yet so I don't have it yet, that's why I'm asking gumby questions :whistling

Last edited:

PIMPIN

The Lurker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais 3.8 WHII Statesman LS1
6 inches for speakers...6*9s should fit with spacers

SS202

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6
Thanks matey...

So anyone have any ideas about the hidden amp thing? Could probably squeeze it in the spare wheel well.

CRUSTY

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 vt2 commodore wagon
Speaker Stuff

:) Hi Matt,
I have recently just updated my VTII stereo. First some background.
I work at a retailer who sells electrical gear, including car audio.
As you already know, the VT takes 6" speakers in both front and rear doors.
Getting the door skins off is realitivly simple (I can do it & I'm simple).
My bro in law had the car (a VTII wagon) before me and he had an amp under the fron passenger's seat. There is heaps of room, and if mounted properly you can hardly see it. The sub box was in the boot, with amp mounted in the wall in front of the wheel arch.
One of my work colleages mounted two "free air" subs in custom cut holes in the back seats of his car a while ago facing the boot. They sound sick.
Personally, I'm a big pioneer fan, and they have some awesome 6" speakers, to the point that I can hear my wife coming home before I see her.
On the double din size stereo, put in a single din size, and buy a black tray, from your local parts retailer, they will know what you are looking for. :rofl:

SS202

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6
KAL SPL, I was worried about this too, but if the amp fits under the front seat ok and it's not too visible (which it probably wouldn't be from outside the car) I might take that route.

There's a guy on eBay selling 6x9 door grills that replace the factory grills, and he recons there's not much modification needed to get 6x9's into the doors, anyone know otherwise? I'd only want them in the back doors.

My goal is a decent head unit that can control an mp3 cd stacker (although an in-dash stacker that player mp3's would be preferable), an amp that delivers 100w RMS to each speaker, 6" in the front doors and 6x9 in the back doors, and a mp3 cd stacker if i can't find an in-dash one.

I can't find any in-dash cd/mp3 stackers, is anyone aware of one? Or anything good about the Sony CDXF5500 CD/MP3 player?

Thanks guys :D

I'll also post the new questions in another thread as they aren't really related to this one anymore.