Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

skyline heads????

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
today at work i was told a intresting fact that got me thinking,
my mate who works at a wreakers said that the skyline head is stronger then the holden head......

he stated it was casted diffrent to the holden built heads and is off a diffrent producton line, and becuase skylines are not as common as vls for cracked heads was because of these facts,

is it true?
is it worth sourcing a skyline head instead of a vl head if later on the head fails?
and
did the rb3o that was fitted in the vl have a smaller head (hight wise) so that motor could fit under the low bonnet? thus making a skyline head (if they are stronger) not fit in the engine bay of a vl?

Attachments

• sigi2.bmp
    39.5 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
Yes head on the VL was made smaller and thats why they crack heads, because the smaller head (and water gallery redesign) doesnt allow for even heat distribution creating hot spots on the head. As to weather the R31 head will fit under the bonnet of a VL I dont know.

An interesting upgrade ive heard of is taking the twin cam RB20 head off an R32 and fitting it to the RB30, Of course you would have to change inlet and exhaust parts as well.

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
yah the twin cam convestion of the other rb motors, but i was just curious about it as it seamed like afair explantion in what the said,
and if i was to eventull get a new head and give it a working over would i bother get a skyline one or the vl head.

so now i might ask has anyone fitted a skyline head on a vl? and did it fit under the bonnet?

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
the skyline engine also has bleeder bolts and presumably the same steam trap possibility but skylines arent known for cracked heads

G

Grantis1976

I think the cooling system setup in VL's doesnt help the cause, but you hear more about cracked heads in commies because there is so many more of them cruizing the streets than the equivilant skylines.???????:w00t:

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
its because the radiator is mounted lower in a vl. the only difference i've heard in the head is the sillhouette might have a different cam. and i wouldn't put an rb20 head on a rb30 as it holds smaller cc's.

Nobody Actually

luxo barge
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 wm Caprice
i had a guy come into work the other night and tell me that the r31 heads were quite different, even down to the point where the port castings were bigger, etc.
does anyone know if this is the case? or should i slap him and call him a fool next time he comes in?

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
bangers said:
its because the radiator is mounted lower in a vl. the only difference i've heard in the head is the sillhouette might have a different cam. and i wouldn't put an rb20 head on a rb30 as it holds smaller cc's.

I agree with this.

And if your going to do the twin cam head swap, go the RB25 or RB26.

RB20 is not going to flow as well as the standard head.

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
bangers said:
just looking up some stuff on skylines and found this
-GX, Executive, GXE, Silhouette, Ti - 3.0 L RB30E SOHC I6, 155 hp (114 kW)
-GTS1 - 3.0 L RB30E SOHC I6, 176 hp (130 kW)
-GTS2 - 3.0 L RB30E SOHC I6, 190 hp (140 kW)
the models and powers, the silhouette is in the same power band as the exctive etc so i think the engine would be unalter meaning same cam. where the gts's could of had a diff cam or/and computer.

The R31 Skyline was also produced in Australia, with a 3.0 motor (RB30E) available in sedan or wagon form. (i cut out the part about the pintara) These cars were manufactured in Australia due to the heavy import laws which made it expensive to bring cars into Australia.
would this mewan that the engine would most likely came from the same factory as waht the holdens motor did, or would the motor got imported and just the car built?

link for the info is http://www.answers.com/topic/nissan-skyline and the r31 section is just under halfway

snake_VL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
i think you will find that the only difference between the lowest spec skyline motor and the vl is the name on the rocker cover, from my knowledge they are identical. the higher output models had a different cam and some slight head work i think, i don't know about the computer though.

the cracked heads issue is simply because the vl has a low slopey nose and the radiator sits too low, hence the bleeding procedure needed. but the head or rocker cover aren't a different size. skylines have a high square nose so this isn't a problem with them.

so my advice is to not worry about the skyline heads unless its one of the upper spec models. people like to bullshit about these sorts of things and all sorts of stories get around