Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

skyline vs ls1

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
Hi guys...
Ok my guess is an r32 skyline GTR will kick the panties off an ls1.. my mate has one which was recently rebuilt, i'm yet to be in it but it will run 300rwkw plus.

But how would an ls1 go against an r33 gts-t for example?

Thanks.

KRUPTD

VN BT1 5L
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Crewman,XE Falcon,HJ V8 panel van,HZ tonner
If you have a bog stock LS1,you got bucklies chance of even keeping up.Do some work to your LS1 and it will pay off :).Start off with the simple stuff like 4 into 1 extractors twin 3 inch or 2.5 inch exhaust high flow cats,cold air intake with a mafless tune,re-edit the computer,change diff gears to 3.9 or even 4.11s,perhaps a larger throttle body or even a modified aftermarket intake manifold,Or the best would be to get a blow setup from capa,that would work a treat,you can also get a cam package to spice the internals up alittle.Remember VT's on wards with LS1's and 2's are alot heavier than a skyline so naturally they are going to beat you so you have to amp the power from your LS1.Trust me i have seen tickled up LS1's putty some good numbers down a quarter but you have to do the right work.goodluck

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
A stock LS1 will be slaughtered, however, modify the the LS1 with a turbo or supercharger or even a simple cam + zorst etc and it will be just as quick.

I always like to say this, show me an NA Nissan running low 11's, it is bloody rare as hens teeth. All these imports require big turboes to get them going, an NA setup is so much sexier.

Edit: If this turns into another jap vs holden bash thread, consider it closed.

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
How much do the skylines weigh?
Also, would an ls1 beat it off the line, with all the NA torque?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
How much do the skylines weigh?
Also, would an ls1 beat it off the line, with all the NA torque?

Well, what are we talking here, A stock engine, one that has had 15k spent on it? A stroker?

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
Apples to oranges...

Presuming we are talking straight-line only, say over 400m:

Stock Vs stock I think the GT-R would play winner, with factory specs saying it runs a 12.8 and a stocker LS1 (from what I've seen at calder) anywhere 13.8+ depending on what car it's in....

Stock GTR vs LS1 with exhaust, tune + CAI + gears would get very interesting, with both running high 12's ish. - would probably be down to traction and that kind of stuff - but remember the skyline has 4wd allowing for limiter launches! - probably be down to driver, though (and would depend on what distance/speed you're racing to, as welll! - my speculations are based on a proper strip over 400m)

Once you start comparing both engines being quite modified, it's only a question of how much money each party has to spend :) both the world's fastest RB26 and LS1 powered cars are into the 7 second brackets now!

300rwkw+ in a 1430kg (factory spec weight) 4wd car is going to be a fair animal, and if done right it can be street friendly (to drive)... Not to say that it can't be beaten by an LS1 powered Commodore, but my bets are that you'd want a fair bit more than exhaust, tune and gears!

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
Oh I just noticed we were supposed to be comparing a GTS-T R33 :p

Stock for Stock should be close, but a good LS1 in the right model would (and I have seen this multiple times) end up in front.

- As said before, LS1 with exhaust, tune, cai and gears can run a high 12
- An R33 would respond very similarly to an exhaust, tune (more boost) and a bigger intercooler...

So yet again, with both being slightly modified, I think it'd come down to driver...

Once you get past this stage of mods, it's up to the size of the wallet again I reckon :)