Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SL to Calais Front Conversion

matty88

LPG Installer :p
Reaction score
Members Ride
TEXXXY: Resprayed TX3 Non Turbo
My mate's planning to install the VL Turbo Calais front onto his SL sedan. The one with the narrower headlights and popups. Is this conversion possible?

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
yeh mate bolts straight up no worries... not sure bout eyelid motor if there is a mount there but all other bolts are in the same place

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
And the headlights are the same? In case you were thinking they were different.

genetic_freak

Technical Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR berlina 304
yeah it'll bolt up with no dramas. the eyelid motor has it's own bracket and doesn't need to be bolted to the body.
but remember that the eyelids need to raise when the headlights are on or else it is not roadworthy. to hook the motor up you will need a special relay (cant remeber the specific name) that switches power to the motor in one direction when the lights are on and switches in the other when they are off.
i converted my front to calais about six months ago and looks heaps better. and you will have to take the headlights out to get the corner pieces in :D

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
yeah and the wiring for it is a bit tricky, how i did mine but thinking about it now you could probably just splice the wires from one of the headlights and run them to a relay then wires to the popups... if you are having trouble, PM me and ill go take a few photos and try and help you help your mate hook them up.

genetic_freak

Technical Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR berlina 304
yeah and the wiring for it is a bit tricky, how i did mine but thinking about it now you could probably just splice the wires from one of the headlights and run them to a relay then wires to the popups... if you are having trouble, PM me and ill go take a few photos and try and help you help your mate hook them up.

i just splice mine into the headlight wiring :D

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
I went the other way, took my calais front off and replaced it with a normal nosecone.

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
yeh i was going to put a calais nosecone on my wagon but now am going with a group A kit so am leaving normal nosecone on it... also after owning a genuine calais the novelty of the popup eyelids wears off... mine were also pretty noisy, anyone elses like this?

genetic_freak

Technical Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR berlina 304
yeh i was going to put a calais nosecone on my wagon but now am going with a group A kit so am leaving normal nosecone on it... also after owning a genuine calais the novelty of the popup eyelids wears off... mine were also pretty noisy, anyone elses like this?

mine used to be noisy but with the help of wd40 its quiet as a mouse :D

VLNZ2020

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
Hi all, sorry to whip a dead thread but would anyone have photos of how the headlight motor was mounted to the nose cone?