Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Slander is not slander if it's the truth is my opinion

Hairy Eater

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Executive V6
I'm sure that slander isn't slander if it's the truth.... i'm very sure about this ... but i may be corrected .... any thoughts on this subject?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I'm sure that slander isn't slander if it's the truth.... i'm very sure about this ... but i may be corrected .... any thoughts on this subject?

You are wrong, if you say to another person, this company sucks blah blah or this person sucks blah blah, it is considered slander.

Reaction score
Members Ride
falcon
yes your corect
but it has to be a corent saying ie your a wanker and 99% ppl do it so therefore 99% corect in calling someone a wanker and its not slander
calling a company they suck is slander cause they dont

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Huh ? wtf ?

Last edited:

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
Nah mate i rekon that 100% correct....thats my opinion anyway

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
The truth can be slander if you cannot possibly know if your claim or statement is true in every possible case.

Example: The scenario - A company does not honour the warranty on a product you purchased.
Through the internet you discover thousands of consumers who have had the same issue with this company.
You publicly state that this company does not honour their warranties.
That is slander as you do not know the outcome of every possible warranty claim made. Even though your statement may be true you cannot readily verify it as such.
Likewise you can publicly say "in my opinion this product is of poor quality" without fear but you cannot publicly say "this company makes poor quality products"

Yes the law is pedantic when it comes to wording.

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
It's not quite enough for it just to be the truth either, you also have to be able to show that it is in the publics best interest that the information be released.

While most of these threads on 'this shop screwed me over' are probably not libel (slander is actualy verbal, anything defamatory in written form is libel), the forum admin really don't want to be dragged into court to prove that it isn't. I personally think the whole slander/libel legislation is a crock of ****, but unfortunately the courts take it very seriously.

pro_gmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
About slander, i agree with what Hairy Eater said, but doesnt it also matter what context you said it in?

is defremation the same thing?

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5

if this is a sook thread because i closed a thread where you slandered a company then you need to take this up with the admin/moderation team. though it appears most people agree with the way i saw it (which is influenced by a slight knowledge of the law).