Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Slave cylinder leaking, what else $$$$?

red truck

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY one tonner / gen3 / 6speed
The one tonner (5.7L) slave cyl. is leaking, while the box is out what else should I look at?
Car has 170,000 kms, but my son only owned it for last 20,000.
Have been told these clutches are usually only good for 100,000, so it's either been done before or it's on it's last legs. Have looked into prices for standard clutch $880 plus slave cyl. or Extreme brand HD $1,100 plus slave cyl.
Considering the engine has a MAFless tune I guess the choice is a no brainer.
(I can't believe the flywheel has to be replaced with the clutch, every time something seemingly minor happens to this car, I'm broke for months:bang: lol)
What else should I throw money at while box is out, spigot bearing? can the rear main be done with the sump on, or is it like the old 304 with a rope seal?
Somebody give me some good news I need it.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
The one tonner (5.7L) slave cyl. is leaking, while the box is out what else should I look at?
Car has 170,000 kms, but my son only owned it for last 20,000.
Have been told these clutches are usually only good for 100,000, so it's either been done before or it's on it's last legs. Have looked into prices for standard clutch $880 plus slave cyl. or Extreme brand HD $1,100 plus slave cyl.
Considering the engine has a MAFless tune I guess the choice is a no brainer.
(I can't believe the flywheel has to be replaced with the clutch, every time something seemingly minor happens to this car, I'm broke for months:bang: lol)
What else should I throw money at while box is out, spigot bearing? can the rear main be done with the sump on, or is it like the old 304 with a rope seal?
Somebody give me some good news I need it.

I gave my clutch a hiding and a half in my VYII and it was still going strong when I sold the car at 135,000 km (had it from new). This included about 70% of the time carrying up to 2.1 ton of weight on the trailer and boat. Do you need to pull the box out to replace a slave cyl??

If the box is out then yeah do the clutch. None of my Gen III's ever leaked oil - is yours?

Reaper

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Yes, the rear main seal can be done with the sump still on!

Once you remove the flywheel and flexplate remove the engine rear cover gasket. This will allow you access to the rear main oil seal in a Gen 3. Then throw on your new oil seal. The rear cover gasket if in good condition can still be used.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
is the master ok? not leaking either? whats the thrust bearing like, iv found from experience best to replace the thrust bearing too, nothing worse than having to take the box out 10,000km's later to replace the thrust bearing when its a 2 min job while box is out.

red truck

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY one tonner / gen3 / 6speed
Thanks guys. cpbait the slave cylinder is not servicable apparrantly, and the thrust bearing/slave cyl. is all one unit.
Anyone know if there is a spigot bearing or is it a bush in end of crank?

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
oh ok, all good yeh i know the ones now, only seen them on some of the alfa romeos at work so thought holden would have them as 2 seperates, all good.

GMMAD

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L GT35 4runner/VK calais
Thanks guys. cpbait the slave cylinder is not servicable apparrantly, and the thrust bearing/slave cyl. is all one unit.
Anyone know if there is a spigot bearing or is it a bush in end of crank?

there a spigot bearing and around $90 from memory