Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sleepas 1992 V8 Toyota Soarer Coupe

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
TV in the centre console that doesn't work in Australia.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
I used to have one of those.. V8 model.. was a 4&rota give away car.. had the bags removed and springs and shocks put it.. and a 2 way TRD LSD in it..

This is the only pic I have, sorting it out ready for a touch up...

word of warning thou, the doors are big and heavy and will drop over time, then will catch the guard when you open them... so something to look out for..

Also do the old reset the ECU back into learning mode.. bring the car upto temp, turn it off and under the bonnet and rip the 30A (Green) EFI fuse... and the 10A (Red) DOME fuse, this will reset the gearbox ECU ... leave em out for 5 minutes then put the EFI fuse back in first, then the 10a..

start the car... handbrake on and foot on the brake ... go through all the shifter positions P to L then back again pausing for a few seconds at each one..
then hit the streets and do 5 hard starts up to the speed limit... you now have a racecar lol...

2_1.jpg

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
TV in the centre console that doesn't work in Australia.
Or a screen that doesn't work at all....

I heard about the doors. Good to know about the ecu learning mode, car has flat battery, so need to do that, among other things.

Well I just picked it up, and yeah, lets just say it has potential.

Paint isn't quite as good as when I saw it (overcast today, maybe the sunlight was hiding stuff) but not too bad considering. It needs a good wash! and interior ripped out then put back in.
Parts car is ok, worse condition then the other though. Plans for that one is rip out anything I could want or need then sell off the rest of the car ASAP.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Some pics of the new beast/s

The other one

Spare parts I bought yesterday ;)

Black leather upholstered shifter and matching arm rest, black shifter surround and another EMV unit.
And that box on the right is the air bag suspension controller, with an aftermarket (little grey box) Controller.

Now if the rain holds off I'm going to give then a bloody good pressure wash.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Awesome!

Will come in handy, Cheers :)

Also took it for a quick drive to check out everything. Pretty much all switches work, sunroof works :) power seats all work, only things that don't is the mirror dipping switch and one of the electric steering wheel adjustment motors, and the EMV screen has no backlight. And the Airbag light is on.

Auto works fine in all gears, engine runs fine. Needs new thermostat gasket, and it's leaking what I think is oil from somewhere at the back of the motor. Apart from that everything else works including the air compressor.

So I'm pretty happy with it really, nothing too major I hope.

Last edited:

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Got to love that. Some one did do sticker overlays a little while back but I can't find the link.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Got to love that. Some one did do sticker overlays a little while back but I can't find the link.

The parts car I have has them on it :) Also has vertex side skirts and rear bar, and I'm pretty sure it has TEIN Coilovers all round too.

So I haven't driven the soarer far yet but my initial impressions are "I like it!"

Super smooth comfy ride, fairly quick, 80s style digital speedo is cool, with the stock exhaust it makes a cool whoosh sound, kinda reminds me of a Delorean. (Back to the future spec)
Just wish it had gullwing doors ;)

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well I started some work on the running Soarer.

And just like every other new car (for me) I get, I rip out the seats, consoles and carpet and give it a solid clean.
I also usually find some coins, this one had some Japanese coins under the carpet too.

The state it's in now

Here is the carpet. That dark stain under the drivers seat is what I reckon was a can of Jim Beam, as I found part of a crushed can there

Tried to give it a good shampoo (passenger/ LH side). It's better, but the stains are still there so I will rip out the carpet from the other car, give that a clean and stick it in this car.

I tested out my 3 EMV units that I had and found 1 that works properly so that's a good start.

I also found an immobiliser under the dash that didn't do anything and was badly installed so ripped that out. And there was a radar detector under the dash, also badly installed as in they just twisted and taped the wires, so that had to come out too. I have no need for that, and I don't want any additional crap wiring in here that could potentially stuff something up.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
So yesterday I stripped the interior from the other car and pulled out its carpet.
It also has a full set of Genuine Soarer Floor mats in good condition, just dirty, so the carpet was in pretty good condition too.

Anyway I cleaned the carpet up and stuck it in the good Soarer and Shampooed all the floor mats front and rear except one that I forgot about.
They turned out good, super plush and for there age in amazing condition.

I'm not sure if I said this at the start but the other (parts Soarer) I have wasn't running when I got it. Previous owner said they had it for a year and couldn't get it to crank, they tried relays, fuses, leads, distributor, etc.
Well once I stripped it I realised that it also had an immobiliser hooked up to it, so I snipped that off, reconnected the wires, put a battery in and she cranked first try of the key :)

I wasn't sure on the fuel situation so I put in a few extra litres, and checked all fuses and relays but it's still not starting. Will try to see if fuel is getting to the rails next, then see if spark is there. But it's looking promising so far.

Also found out that on the good one at some point in time the airbag struts have been removed and replaced with coilovers, which is a bit disappointing but at least I won't have to shell out a ton of money to replace an airbag, and coilovers aren't too bad. Just need the adjusting spanner for them.