Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sleepas VR Caprice Wagon Build

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
First things first. Power window cables.

Take off the little circlip with circlip pliers, or 2 very small flat head screwdrivers

Take off the cover and you will see this.

Take out the barrel and this is what it looks like (Barrels and assemblies are different Left to Right)

The barrel by itself.

And installed

This is what my old cables were like, this is the bottom barrel end.

And the top one

The other ends

And both cables

Basically, unroll both cables from the barrel, pull it out and disconnect the other ends, get some new cables and hook up all the other ends.

To get the cable off and back on the white plastic "wheel?" at the top I heated it with a heat gun, then used a small flathead screwdriver to slightly bend the plastic in one spot only. Makes it so much easier, and you could flatten it out after I guess too.

Make sure the white window "thing" (don't know what to call it) is at the bottom of the track. Then roll the lower cable onto the barrel first, install the barrel, and then I hooked it up to power and used my window switch to wind it slightly tighter so I could wrap the top cable around once and lower it into its connection.

That's it.
Test it all works ok with the power switch, then place cover back over it and replace cir clip with 2 screwdrivers again.

And now the wagon.

And this is what it looks like today. Added some chrome into it.

Caprice power seats are all in and working.
They have seen better days but they are so comfy still its crazy.

Also finished the rest of the power window installation. And funnily enough once I hooked all that up my climate control now works so things are starting to work out.

Last edited:

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nice work, your flying along haha getting more done in a day then I have in 6 months...

Starting to get a little worn out, lol. But I want to get as much done as I can before I just don't want to do anything anymore.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
I decided that it would be a good idea to use spring washers and loctite on the power window bolts, so spent a while redoing all that, but at least they shouldn't loosen off now.

Installed the remaining lower window chrome and 3 door trims, still have to do the front passenger trim, but have to take it out of the ute first.

It's almost looking like a complete car again. But a lot more work to go on it still.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Got the passenger side door trim on, and an inner chrome door handle.

Then it rained, and it kinda annoyed me having to work outside in it, so the Impala got moved outside and the wagon is now in the garage. Should now be able to work on it later in the evenings when it gets cold and dark :)

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Managed to fit the series 2 woodgrain centre console back in.

Found out the reason it didn't fit properly before, it seems in the series 2 VS they changed the shape slightly of the white plastic shifter surround so the old style one wouldn't work with the Series 2 console.

Also removed the remaining pin stripes and RH side trolley strips and cleaned up the residue, apart from that I just cleaned all the rubbish and parts out of the car and spent ages sitting in the comfy front seat thinking about what to do next... I'm thinking some bodywork.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Managed to fit the series 2 woodgrain centre console back in.

Found out the reason it didn't fit properly before, it seems in the series 2 VS they changed the shape slightly of the white plastic shifter surround so the old style one wouldn't work with the Series 2 console.

I'm loving this thread, there's so much useful information here. I've been putting off changing the rear window, but now that I know how to do it it'll be much less tedious. Really appreciate the pics!

Good to know about the console too. I've wondered that too, I was considering buying a S2/S3 console a while ago.

Are those wheels going to stay or do you have other plans?

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers :)

I try to show everything I can as I know even the small things can sometimes be a big help. And it makes me remember it all as well.
Different wheels are planned, I have a few different ideas at the moment, it may change in the future, will depend on what I can get for a decent price.

A couple of pics I just went out and took.

Last edited:

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Internationals are definitely on the list. I just looked up the grange rims and they might work too.
Something along those lines anyway.. I like factory stuff.

Of course a decent aftermarket rim with deep dish and a polished lip may also be on the list.