Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sleepas VR Caprice Wagon Build

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Well, I decided to go out and get some paint.

Then started sanding the front down.

Last edited:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Good one. I'm also busting out the paint tomorrow.....for exposed beam ceilings, door trims, skirtings etc ! I have a feeling mine will be easier than yours.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Good one. I'm also busting out the paint tomorrow.....for exposed beam ceilings, door trims, skirtings etc ! I have a feeling mine will be easier than yours.

I reckon it will.

It's been a while since I painted this much of a car. I need to do the front, trolley strips, maybe a quick coat over the doors, hatch, and then find a grey that matches the side skits from the Caprice and do the whole lower half. Gonna take my time and try to do it all properly.

Think I would prefer to paint a house at the moment too.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Still been doing a little work but my other cars needed some love so I had to take some time off from this for them.

The Berlina got a repainted bonnet, so no more peeling clear coat. Although I do need to take it off the road and replace a bunch of engine seals. And I have been tidying up the ute a little for future sale.

The Statesman front has been sanded down some more and I removed the Caprice Headlining and the remaining parts from inside it. Not sure if I am going to use the headlining yet but I think I will install all the wiring so I have that choice in the future.

Short term plans are repainting the Statesman font end and fitting it up, and a 5L Conversion, then registration.
My deadline at the moment is August 14th as that's when the ute's rego runs out, so hopefully I can get all this sorted by then and maybe some other bits done too if I'm lucky. All depends on how much work I have, and judging by the coming week, I'm not going to have much spare time at all.

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
Seems great minds think alike, just put a Vr Statesman front on my column change Vn. Got a statesman im wrecking so got all the side moulds & skirts yet to go on like yours...
Will be following this thread for sure..........

Last edited:

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Are you using acrylic or 2 pack??

Looking forward to seeing lots of progress pics :p

Only acrylic, think i'll need some more practice before I start doing 2 pack. But at least they are a semi decent paint, seems to go on very well anyway.

Haven't had a chance to do any more yet, work has been super hectic, but I do have a list now, so mid August is my deadline to get the V8 in.
Paint will have to wait as I want to prep it all perfect before spraying.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Seems great minds think alike, just put a Vr Statesman front on my column change Vn. Got a statesman im wrecking so got all the side moulds & skirts yet to go on like yours...
Will be following this thread for sure..........

Lol, I just saw your thread and posted basically the same as what you just said.
Cheers :)

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Had an hour free so decided to install the roof wiring from the caprice into the wagon. Not the radio controls/roof speakers/etc, just the door handle lights, roof lights and front sunvisor light wiring. Still have to cut out the holes in the headlining but it started getting dark so I reconsidered, thought that maybe it wouldn't be a such a good idea to cut them in the dark...

Anyway, probably just going to do stuff like this for now till I can get around to the engine swap. Plus side, tomorrow is my first day off in 9 days so might be able to do some work on the wagon.... Or maybe i'll just do nothing this weekend.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Good news, I have 3 days off and i'm getting my engine crane back tomorrow. 5l Conversion here we come :)

In other news I decided to give the Wagon some more bling so I polished one of my many spare door handles. Took around an hour all up.

Started with the bare handle as below.

Sanded it down with a few power sanders and 180g paper

Hand sanded it down with 180g Dry

Then hand sanded it with 240g Dry

Sanded with 800g Dry

Then started wet sanding with 800g Wet

Moved to 1500g Wet

Then 2000g Wet

After that I polished it with my polisher and 3inch foam pad with Menzerna 2500
Then went over it with Purple Polish

End results :)

Just need to do 3 more now.