Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sleepas VR Caprice Wagon Build

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Nice work.

FYI....I'm still house painting. Sealing new plaster walls tomorrow. Happy happy joy joy.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers :) they should look good with the chrome window surrounds. It's not perfect, I have some light scratches in it so will probably redo it to make it perfect.

So, I got my engine crane back yesterday and the 5L is now out of the ute and sitting in the garage corner waiting to be cleaned up then it will find it's new home in the wagon.
The V6 is coming out of the wagon right now, then it's going into the ute tomorrow if all goes to plan.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Coming along nicely, just a quick question, have you ever thought about maybe going to the l67 or your just happy with the 5L?

I have thought about the L67 a bit, and wouldn't mind one if I picked up a car with it. I just seem to only find V8s at a decent price, plus I love the sound of them ;)

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well, the wagon's bay is now bare... and the ute has a V6 in it once again.
The ute is mostly finished, just some hoses and stuff like that.

The V8 is going to take a little longer to get in.

I decided that since lots of rubber and plastic connectors are falling apart in the wagons engine bay that I should re-do them all first before the V8 goes in. Also I thought it would be a good idea to change all the gaskets on the 5L before it goes back in too, it's going to be properly degreased and cleaned too. Maybe some paint if I feel like it.

Last edited:

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Update and some pics... finally.

So over the weekend I pulled out the 6 from the Wagon, and the 8 from the Ute.
Before

After

And installed the V6 into the ute. What I didn't take into account was that I had to remove all the LPG gear from the V6 and put all the hoses back to stock. Took longer then I thought.
Now it's all back together but won't start for some reason. I'll sort it out later.

Oh, and I found this out while trying to hook up the V6 to the V8 tailshaft.

Slightly different lengths. V8 tailshaft is a little shorter. Anyone wanting to do this, make sure you use the V8 tailshaft for the V8 engine.

The 5L sitting in the corner waiting to be cleaned up.

I degreased the K-Frame, only spent 2 hours on it with Heavy duty degreaser mixed 1:1, seriously nearly 1cm of gunk all over it. Also cleaned in the rails a little.
Here it is all clean.

Then pulled out the Caprice Front suspension as it's in better condition, and I want the V8 Springs this time. And apparently it had new shocks installed 2 years ago, so should still be nice.
Rotors look good too.

That's where I am now.

Next is to install the V8 Suspension and K-frame into the wagon then clean up the bay, replace hoses, etc and make it all look nice.
Then find a gasket kit and replace all the V8s gaskets, get some new spark plugs, leads and replace anything else that looks dodgy after I give it a real good clean.

And I think I have decided to polish the rocker covers, and maybe intake manifold, and engine covers. I want this thing to look shiny as under the bonnet.

I like shiny things.

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
You've sure been busy, wish i could say the same lol