Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sleepas VR Caprice Wagon Build

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
I now have a set of polished Caprice scuff plates.

And a close up

It took me a while to do but I figured out a good system for polishing stainless.
First up I used a Metal polishing system on a drill, cutting compound and "finishing" polish and buff.
It still had plenty of scratches left in it after this so next I hand polished it with some Menzerna Pf2500, then again with SF4000 to finish it.
I then used Purple polish by hand to really bring out the shine. Then a secret step, then some Polymer sealant over the top.

Quite a process but worth it.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
My growing pile of shiny things.

And I changed the wheels for now, obviously they will look better once it's lowered.

Oh yeah, I used that guard as a test patch when I painted the Berlinas bonnet, that's why it's partially blue.

somefool

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
1991 VN 'S', 1997 Ford Laser 1.6
great work man, those scuff plates came up mint. I'd say that whoever manages to scuff them first should owe you a carton as payment.

Good find with the pacies, ive got a set that i blasted and painted up- now waiting for motivation to come along haha. Bit of dust on them now but ill get there eventually. Dont quote me but i think the ute and wagon had different wheelbases (the wagon was longer) so i doubt that it would bolt straight up, hopefully it would need some extra pipe and new flanges welded in and thats all.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
great work man, those scuff plates came up mint. I'd say that whoever manages to scuff them first should owe you a carton as payment.

Cheers.
Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. I've become a little attached to them already, maybe I will have to give everyone who gets in a warning not to scuff them. lol

Good find with the pacies, ive got a set that i blasted and painted up- now waiting for motivation to come along haha. Bit of dust on them now but ill get there eventually. Dont quote me but i think the ute and wagon had different wheelbases (the wagon was longer) so i doubt that it would bolt straight up, hopefully it would need some extra pipe and new flanges welded in and thats all.

Mine could do with a bit of paint. Not too sure on the length either. I know the front half before the Diff bolts up, then they both go over the Diff.
The worst thing I can see is that the drivers side pipe might not make it past the fuel tank. The utes have free space under there so I may have to bend it around the tank.
Either way I want 2 pipes coming out the back for looks, even if I have to merge them at some point.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wrote a new list of to do things for the Caprice Wagon and it's quite long :(

So I decided that I should get stuck into it a bit more and test fitted the Caprice side skirts, make a massive difference in looks, No pics as it got dark again, But maybe soon.
I also started on the rear grab handles and lights, but soon realised that I will have to cut out a chunk of metal for them to fit, a pair of tin snips and it won't take too long, but again it got too dark to see.

Not much of an update really.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Some progress pics on the rear grab handle lights installation

Started off like this

Then I fitted the handle in order to outline the light.

With the handle removed

Started cutting it out with tin snips

And after

I had to cut out a bit more in order for the light to fit but here it is all done.

And the roof light upgrade with integrated map lights. This one was easy.
I fitted it up, then removed it and marked out where it was hitting.

Then cut the roof lining out.

And fitted it up, All done.

Then I started of the other side. But this time I cut it out a bit larger to make my life easier.

That's it so far.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I think you should invest in some scuff plates for your scuff plates.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Got the other rear grab handle light installed, then decided that I need to start with the painting process.

So I removed the front door handles, then cleaned up all the Caprice side strips, and found a pair of electric mirrors that were in good nick.

At the start.

I sanded down some small nicks in the plastic then prepped them for priming.

After being primed.

There is only one mirror in the above pics coz I used some old primer on the other one and it crazed, so I have to sand that off and try again.

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
Looking the goods you sure been busy on her, havent got near mine in a while just been driving her. Been to flatout round here but i'm sure getting sick of the multi coloured look of mine lol