Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Slight knocking noise when idling in drive?????

sidrome

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Wagon
After a recent long trip ive now noticed a there is a knocking or tapping noise when im idling in drive (at stop lights or stopping) if i put it in to neutral it seems to go away. Ive taken the drive belt off and it still does it and also the engine cover. Any one know what this could be?

1dvsbstd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES II 2016

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
just stick your head under the bonnet with someone holding the brake on whilst its in drive and listen to where its coming from

could possibly be an idler puller or tensioner..

sidrome

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Wagon
definately not the oil. ive changed the spark plugs and the leads and had the transmission serviced last week if thats what u mean by gearbox? Also it wouldnt be an idler or tensioner pulley if it still does it with the drive belt off would it??

Cúl-Báire

Reaction score
Members Ride
AUII XR8 Ute & BAII XR6
My wagon does the same thing, I reckon your engine mounts are sagging / cracked.

ch1mp

Reaction score
If you have a valid reason for requiring my locati
Members Ride
VT S-Pack 3.8L Supercharged
look at the harmonic balancer too. big-ass pulley right on the bottom. you can't see it's cracked until the engine is turned off. the rubber splits on the outside and metal fragments get sheared off...makes an almighty rattle noise...

sidrome

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Wagon
My wagon does the same thing, I reckon your engine mounts are sagging / cracked.

thats what im really hoping its not. expensive repair? dont think id tackle that myself

look at the harmonic balancer too. big-ass pulley right on the bottom. you can't see it's cracked until the engine is turned off. the rubber splits on the outside and metal fragments get sheared off...makes an almighty rattle noise...

had a look i didnt notice any cracks or wear.

frankenstein

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x 97vts and 2000 wh
i would say engine mount or gear box mount my vt has the same issue and its the rh engine mount is stuffed ill be fixing it myself as there not to hard to do and cost Ive seen them from $30 to $60

Killr6

tutut
Reaction score
Members Ride
BA XR6T
to check if its an engine mount, start your car, pop the hood. push the engine to the left ( not to hard out) if it still rattles then push it to the right. if the rattling stops then its an engine mount. if it continues to rattle then look at your balancer. and to check if its the balancer take your drive belt off, then shake the balancer and if its loose and makes the rattling noise then thats it.

ive had both problems with my vt had to change balancer and engine mounts, and rattling sound was fixed.

and for a mechanic to change your engine mounts, at work the last one i changed cost 100$.

but mate i may be wrong with any advise here, and hope my tips can help you out.