Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Slightly deformed upper coolant hose, dodgy GM/Holden part?

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV Redline, Mitsubishi 380 ES
Hi guys

As the title suggest, my upper coolant hose gets deformed when the engine is cold, not completely collapsed but you could definitely feel like there's a flat squashed section when you run your hand around it.

Thought it was caused by the usual vacuum related issue, but the difference I notice was that there doesn't seem to be any vacuum bulit up in the system when cold unlike the youtube videos I have seen.

Where as in the videos the collapsed hose bounced back to shape (& you could hear a suction sound) after opening the radiator cap & there was a drop in coolant level in the radiator. Mine did no such thing and instead seem to "default" to that slightly squashed shape as the system cools and pressure drops. There also doesn't seem to be any no drop in coolant level in the radiator.

Never the less I've followed some diy fix guides & changed a new radiator cap & cleaned the small hose that goes to the coolant reservoir tank (had a bit of yellow gunk on reservoir side, but not blocked, no gunk in radiator, water flew through fine & I blew it out ok too).

No change from the above, top hose still goes back to that slighlty squashed shape when cold.

Otherwise car seems normal, no overheating, no apparent loss of coolant & most importantly the expansion tank seem to be doing it's job of expelling & sucking in coolant (dipstick shows one extra notch when hot & then one notch less when completely cold).

Other observations: when hot, the hose is "normal round" and can definitly feel it holding shape/pressure, top & bottom hoses feels similar temperature (rules out dodgy thermostat I guess).

But it seems the "default no pressued" shape of my top hose is a slightly squashed one?

Only thing else is I'm not sure how long it's been like this (car has over 80k kms) as that deformed section is usually hidden under the stock air intake and I have only noticed it recently when I was removing the airbox to change the low beam blub.

Is this just a case of dodgy GM/Holden part? Or maybe the old cap was fault & had vaccum issues for a while and overtime deformed the hose to that shape?

Would this just be a simple case of change the top hose and refill the system?

Any other potential causes?

Thanks.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Ok if its not the cap maybe its a dodgy hose?

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/l76-top-radiator-hose.197253/

My top hose (when cold) looks similar to the picture posted in this thread, except he said his poped back to "normal" shape when the radiator cap was opened (so vacuum was present), while mine seem to stay in that shape.

Even tried to sqush it manually to round (with cap off) but the hose always goes back to that shape...

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
Liquid expands when heated. If you only see the hose deformed when engine is cold, it was caused by a vacuum created as the coolant cooled. The most common cause for radiator hose collapse is a vacuum issue caused by a faulty radiator cap. The second most common cause is clogging of the small runoff hose, which leads from the radiator cap housing to the coolant overflow bottle.

Check the overflow pipe and/or replace the radiator cap
Make sure your replacement cap has the correct pressure rating, the one on the car now may be wrong.
Other observations: when hot, the hose is "normal round" and can definitly feel it holding shape/pressure, top & bottom hoses feels similar temperature (rules out dodgy thermostat I guess).

But it seems the "default no pressued" shape of my top hose is a slightly squashed one?
When hot (with the radiator cap on) and you open the throttle for a while does the hose stay "round" or does it distort worse than when cold?
When cold and with the radiator cap off, can you squash the hose closed with your hand(s)?
Yes for both of those questions: replace the hose.

Otherwise it may be that the hose has "remembered" the shape due to that being what it looks like most of the time while driving (more likely if it is not a daily, but is used for longer drives at higher speeds) or if the vehicle has had a small coolant system vacuum issue in the past.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The hose might not be fitted correctly and have a slight twist.

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
I had the squashed in radiator hose (top only). I put on a new genuine radiator cap and it fixed the problem. It sounds like your hose has been permanently deformed. I'd just get a new hose.

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just checked again this morning, looks like I must have missed it last time, there was indeed a small build up of vaccum in the system, the top hose was more squashed compared to how I remembered before & opening the cap caused it to go back to the default "slighlty squashed" state...

Radiator cap is new, but is a repco one (140kpa, 20psi) maybe a dodgy one as well?

Just my luck as I'm currently 300km down rural WA (Repco was the only auto store here), so guess I'll visit stealer next week when I get back & grab a geniune cap & hose while I'm at it.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I’d just try the new cap first...

No need to disturb the original hose unless it’s swelling or ballooning or getting on in kilometres or in years (in which case you should change all hoses)...

But without manufacturer guidance on hose replacement, I’d change all hoses around the 100,000 Km mark or at the 10 year mark... Nothing worse that an burst hose when you’re in woop woop (or up ship creek).

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
I’d just try the new cap first...

Will do, Murphy's law strikes again now my other low beam blew out in the rural region & i have no tools on me to change the dam thing & just got a speeding fine from some country HWP in a downhill section of a 90 zone (104)

Hopefully that's the end of this lol