Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Slip ring failure

04vycrewman

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Crewman
Howdy, anyone able to give me a step by step to replace my ignition slip ring?

Jam3s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais Turbo
You're talking about these, right? In that case, YouTube might be your best bet. Maybe something like the vid below? Will probably need your exact Make / Model for more specific help!

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
Remove the plastic trim around your steering wheel
(One screw underneath and use your thumbs on the top trim to press in and pop apart)
Pull the slipping off the ignition barrel and disconnect the wire to the light globe.

In most cases it's not the slip ring but the contact on the key itself. Try using sandpaper or a nail file to clean the contact.

Marco59

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs sv6
Remove the plastic trim around your steering wheel
(One screw underneath and use your thumbs on the top trim to press in and pop apart)
Pull the slipping off the ignition barrel and disconnect the wire to the light globe.

In most cases it's not the slip ring but the contact on the key itself. Try using sandpaper or a nail file to clean the contact.
That is exactly right. I had the same issue and got a new key which didn't solve the problem. I undone the 2 screws, removed the key and lightly sanded it clean and made sure the sensor touched the key reader slip ring and it worked.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
They really dont need much explaining. just undo the 3 screws for the surround on the column and it's self explanatory.