Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Slipping auto transmission and dead alternator?

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
i found the problem. on my vt auto i had the problem where 4th gear kept slipping,(jolting, chuttering) but when u dropped it into third it went away. the reason is because when u drop it back the rpm raises and the engine is firing and smooth, but at low rpm (in 4th) the car struggles to deliver. this was also noticeable when i was going uphill in fourth and i applied the throttle without making it downshift, the car trans was slipping and jolted back and forth like crazy. Anyway after stressing for ages about it. i nutted out the possibilities and it just came down to my spark leads and spark plugs. they were brittle and old, and they weren't firing correct at low rpm (under 2k). then i replaced them for 54$ and it works like a gem. i know it sounds ridiculous but the reason why it slipped is coz when it was under load it need power and that is when the engine would cut off and my car jolted crazy. thank god its resolves and i have saved excessive money.
Hope this help anyone with the same problem.

Cheers Avill

I dont think the trans was slipping in your case, the cylinder wasnt firing because of a bad spark plug lead. Under load it was failing and the cylinder didnt fire, the car would momentarily slow, next cylinder would fire normally and you would get a jolt again.

DONHOMER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH
Hi my VS is a1995 exec,battery light comes on sometimes when headlights are on,also auto seems to slip a little when going around corners but seems ok all other times,fluid seems at right level when hot,fluid has air bubles in it when hot but not when cold,fluid is clean.any ideas? cheers

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Replace the voltage regulator in your alternator.