Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Slotted rotors

Ragnarok

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE
Hope this helps. off the brembo website.

Which direction should the discs rotate?
It is a popular misconception that the slots or drillings in a disc determine the direction of rotation. In truth, for an internally vented disc, the geometry of the vanes dictates the direction of rotation. There are three vane types in use:

* Straight
* Pillar vane (comprised of many small posts)
* Curved vane

The first two vane types are non-directional, and can be used on either side of the vehicle. The curved vane disc, however, is directional. A curved vane disc must be installed with the vanes running back from the inside to outside diameters in the direction of rotation. Please see figure. Orienting the disc in the manner creates a centrifugal pump. The rotation of the disc causes air to be pumped from the center of the disc, through the vanes, and out through the outside diameter of the disc. This greatly enhances the disc's ability to dissipate heat.

Additionally, all of Brembo's slotted discs are directional as well, regardless of the vane geometry. The discs should be installed such that the end of the slot nearest the outer edge of the disc contacts the pad first.

I put this in as i just went through the same thing when putting on RDA slotted rotors and in my eagerness to pull them out of the boxs and look at my shiney new disks mixed them up. i ended up going the slot nearest the outer edge of the disc contacts the pad first. brakes been on months no prob. RDA disks use a pillar vane. althou they call it kangaroo paw. " The ‘Kangaroo Paw’ design features a series of 144 diamond and tear drop shaped pillars and columns, individually spaced between the rotor faces."

Ragnarok.

Attachments

• kangaroo_head.jpg
    kangaroo_head.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:

bigg_vin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH V8
so going by that....

i have mine the wrong way round, and so do you Sammy.....

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
well mine are on the same way as well.

Ragnarok

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE
guys.. read the post.... pillared vanes are non-directional

:whistling

so which everway gets your rocks off. :yeah:

stevegunn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt acclaim wagon vt acclaim sedan
I think the slots are supposed to "tip" forward if ya know what I mean.
As if catching air?
So as I see it the pics are wrong way around, but then I thought was wrong once, but I was mistaken!:dance:
Then again I have seen rotors with slots going both ways as well so who really knows hey:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Ragnarok

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE
Last time......

Which direction should the discs rotate?
It is a popular misconception that the slots or drillings in a disc determine the direction of rotation. In truth, for an internally vented disc, the geometry of the vanes dictates the direction of rotation...................

stevegunn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt acclaim wagon vt acclaim sedan
Forgot to mention you guys have them on the right way "for your model";)

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
As Ragnarok says, do what you like. Doesn't matter.

If it bothers you, go with stevegunn's tip and do the modern VT way. :)

Sammy

Reaction score
Website
www.oldholdens.com
Members Ride
LH Torana with Ecotec V6
this picture is from another little project i have been working on, these are the dba slotted and drilled (vented) rotors and as you can see the slots go both ways, so you would think if it really mattered which way then they wouldn't slot it like this.

R0016382.JPG

for the record this is VP V8 rotor with vr/vs caliper, same as VP V8 caliper, i also believe vl turbo and fe2 vn's had these ?