Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register
  1. Just Commodores will be taken down on the 19/06/2018 @ 9PM ACST, expected downtime is ~30 minutes.

This addresses a recently found hardware issue.

Dismiss Notice

sluggish start

Discussion in 'VR - VS Holden Commodore (1993 - 1997)' started by maginoodle, Jul 30, 2006.

1. maginoodle

maginoodle Member

Members Ride:
    vy series2 ss crewman
    Hi, Ive noticed that my vs exec is a bit hard to start lately. I dont drive it that often due to a work vehicle.
    I had a listen today when it did it and noticed that the fuel pump kept going. I think it may be the fuel regulater or the pump.
    Any thoughts?

2. hako

hako Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VS11 BT1 V6
    From what I've gathered mixed with a bit of guesswork, when then engine is running the fuel pump is running all the time. When you initially turn the ignition on, the pump runs for a second or two to prime the system and then the starter motor kicks in. Once the system is primed the pump cuts off. I'd imagine it doesn't run whilst the starter is engaged to reduce battery drain, but once it fires and runs, the oil pressure switch then allows power to run to the fuel pump. Dunno if the regulator would affect starting as its controlled by manifold vacuum and there isn't much vacuum when the car is being cranked.

3. maginoodle

maginoodle Member

Members Ride:
    vy series2 ss crewman
    i was thinking that the regulater isnt keeping pressure and thats why the pump will keep running. It doesnt stop like normal.